Am I Overcharging? My Ganache Is More Than My Fondant...

Business By Delectability Updated 26 Jan 2012 , 2:41am by kelleym

Delectability Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delectability Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 3

Hey all,

Only pricing question I'll ever ask (hopefully). I'm going with 3.25 for buttercream, 4.25 for fondant and 5.50 for ganache/marzipan.

I know Marzipan is more expensive to make than fondant, but what about ganache?

My experience with it is limited so I figured I'd ask to see what you guys end up doing as far as levels of coverings.

2 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 3

It depends on what kind of chocolate I'm using (some of it is VERY expensive, so I have to charge more), but it generally runs me somewhere between the cost of my buttercream and my fondant (which I buy ready-made, by the way - life is too short). But if I'm using a premium chocolate, it can cost way more than fondant. How much does it cost you to cover (and maybe fill) a cake with the ganache you make as opposed to what it costs you to cover the same size cake with fondant? I generally put ganache under my fondant instead of buttercream, unless somebody specifically asks me not to use chocolate. Since my standard ganache doesn't cost much more than buttercream, it doesn't add a lot to the cost of the cake (and in the hot, humid climate where I live, it makes the fondant work much better).

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 2:41am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delectability

Hey all,

Only pricing question I'll ever ask (hopefully). I'm going with 3.25 for buttercream, 4.25 for fondant and 5.50 for ganache/marzipan.

I know Marzipan is more expensive to make than fondant, but what about ganache?

My experience with it is limited so I figured I'd ask to see what you guys end up doing as far as levels of coverings.

Have you costed out your recipes? Then you'll have your answer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%