How Do Ask Someone If They Want A Scratch Cake Or Doctored?

Baking By dukeswalker Updated 23 Jan 2012 , 4:22am by cheatize

dukeswalker Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 4

There are definitely two camps, although some do enjoy dabbling in both camps... But when you have someone ask you to make a cake and then they mention that they like Funfetti flavor, do you then assume that you should pull a recipe from your doctored cake mix stash?

3 replies
karateka Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 4

That seems like an out and out request for a cake mix.

Personally, I don't view Funfetti as a flavor. Isn't it just cake mix with sprinkles in it?

dukeswalker Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 4

I agree - just white cake mix with sprinkles. So this same person has asked for a chocolate cake on the bottom tier - would you just assume to pass up Toba's Chocolate Fudge cake and opt for some doctored recipe?

cheatize Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 4:22am
post #4 of 4

I explain that I am able to bake all three ways: scratch, doctored, and box. I tell them that each person has their own preference and I am able to provide exactly what they want.

This makes me look like an expert and opens the conversation. Most people don't consider that they are three ways to bake a cake as they assume their preference is everyone's preference, in my experience. They have to think for a second before recalling which they prefer and I may have to explain what a doctored cake is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%