pinksprinkles Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 5:02am
post #1 of

icon_cry.gif i really need help with how to get a bright but deep red frosting i was making a angry birds birthday cake for my son i researched how to get a great red butter cream icing so i made a white butter cream i used the americolor gel colours i have every type of red so i went to adding the red and it turned pink i kept adding more and no just a pink frosting the more i added the frosting just went funny and like separated so unfortunately i ended up having to buy him a cake i am so upset about it because i have always make my kids cakes and although i have difficulties sometimes as i am not a great cake decorator i always end up accomplishing it and people love it i do need to do some classes to learn some techniques to help me with these problems but atm that's not able to happen i really do want to make this angry bird cake just to prove to myself that i can do it i know that prob sounds silly but its really annoyed me as i have never purchased a cake i always make them anyway back to the question can anyone please tell me how they get a really nice red icing should i use Wilton red?? or if i should use the americolor what's the name of the colour i should use any help would be very much appreciated thanks icon_smile.gif

7 replies
scp1127 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 7:38am
post #2 of

I have a simple, easy solution that will also keep the guests' mouths from turning red. I figured this out from my old home rehab days:

Frost your cake in white frosting. Make enough red to add 1/8 inch top coat over the white. It's a lot easier to get the color you want in a smaller amount. I do this with IMBC so I'm sure it will work on other kinds. On butter based frostings, put it in the refrigerator to get hard, then add the color.

Evoir Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 8:19am
post #3 of

I recommend using an airbrush colour to get red. Buy it in a can if you can't afford a proper machine.

And, please, please, please...use a little more punctuation when you post! icon_wink.gif Its really hard to read an entire paragraph with no capital letters or periods.

Unlimited Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 12:49pm
post #4 of

you didnt have to buy your son a cake i am sure he would have eaten a pink angry bird you just need to use a lot of foodcoloring to get a true deep red chefmaster is good but any brand will work if you use enough

goa11ie Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 1:41pm
post #5 of

"Super Red" by Americolor is magical icon_smile.gif I have a gigantic bottle of it because its THAT good!

dawnybird Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 2:31pm
post #6 of

pinksprinkles, I agree with Evoir: it would help us to read your posts if you at least use punctuation. Not trying to be critical, just a helpful suggestion. Don't feel bad about the cake. Red is notoriously hard to achieve! (Likewise with black).

Cupcations Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 4:06pm
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by goa11ie

"Super Red" by Americolor is magical icon_smile.gif I have a gigantic bottle of it because its THAT good!

X2
Also try making your icing at least a week prior to the event, it will have enough time to set. I personally freeze all my dark colors, I notice that they become more vibrant and darker.

HTH

goa11ie Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 4:43pm
post #8 of

Oooooh, Cupcations! Cool trick! I'll be sure to use that too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%