Need Opinions Please About This Email

Business By cakertainment Updated 23 Jan 2012 , 1:45am by sabre

cakertainment Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakertainment Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 3:40am
post #1 of 22

Hi everyone! I had a possible bride inquire about my cakes and was interested in a tasting Feb. 4th. She seemed a little "bridezilla" in prior emails but when I told her that I work out of my home and did not have a storefront this is the email I got after I explain I can keep cost a little lower since I do not have overhead to pay and that there are many awesome home bakers everywhere. Oh and another email I received prior to this she stated how accomodating and "personal" I was and that I provide excellent customer service!

"I have been in contact with many bakery's of wedding cakes and none of them make wedding cakes out of their homes. I'm sure there's has been other potential customers that felt this was very odd and too personal. I'm sure the company I chose will feel the same. I would rather pay more for someone that is more professional about their service and has a store as opposed to making cakes in their home kitchen. I will be sure to let my other five friends getting married know this valuebale information and to chose someone else. No need to respond to this last email."

I usually try not to let things bother me but this did. Last year I made 35 wedding cakes and not one bride complained about meeting in my home and baking out of my home. I am licensed and insured and I am very professional. Do any of you get responses or comments about not having a store front? Thanks for your advice icon_smile.gif

21 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 3:47am
post #2 of 22

If I had a home bakery and received that email, I would simply reply back thanking her for her feedback and wishing her the best of luck on her wedding. She may have had a bad experience with a home-based food vendor in the past, the best you can do is let your products speak for themselves.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 3:54am
post #3 of 22

I agree with Jason. Someone like that you're not going to change their mind. Nor should you have to. It sounds like your business is doing just fine without Miss Snottypants and her friends. When I got married my florist and cake vendors both worked out of their homes, and I loved how cozy it was. To each their own. As hard as it is to let it go (I would be rampaging mad too), in the grand scheme it will be better for you both. I just am always blown away with the audacity of people to let other people know when they looks down on them. Real charmers, they are.

cakertainment Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 4:14am
post #4 of 22

Thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it icon_smile.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 4:14am
post #5 of 22

Well you dodged a bullet with this one. She can take her "valuebale" business elsewhere. You are doing just fine without it.

But it was an odd, ignorant, hurtful thing to write.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 5:40am
post #6 of 22

Some folks just need to be killed with kindness. This is how I would respond (after letting off some steam):

Thank you for your response *client's name*. At Cakertainment we cater to clients who appreciate the professional and personal attention we give to creating one-of-a-kind cakes to celebrate their most intimate experiences. While we operate from a home-kitchen, our qualifications and state sanctioned licenses are on par with those of our more commercial counterparts. We understand that not everyone is comfortable with the degree of personalized service we provide thus we encourage you to select a cake provider that makes you comfortable. Our hope, whether we provide the cake or not, is that each bride has a beautiful wedding filled with happy memories. Good luck with your plans.

Sincerely,
Cakertainment CEO.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 7:32am
post #7 of 22

The poster before me brought up what I was going to ask of you. Did you give her copies of your license and insurance certificates? If you did not and came across as illegal, then she was correct in her assumptions.

It is important to be as professional as possible in any situation, but especially when it is a home kitchen situation. I have my license and insurance on my site in several places and they are framed in my bakery. I do have a large commercial kitchen, but it is on the ground floor of my home. I provide pictures along with the licensing so that there is no question of my professionalism.

I'm not suggesting this about the OP, but anything untidy, out of place, worn, old, dirty... anywhere in your home or outside that is in the path of the client, is up for scrutiny. The impression of your home and your habits will be what she thinks of your product.

In the OP case, it is important to give them the professional treatment up front, explaining the law and how you are inspected. If you come across as professional and knowledgeable, citing local law and offering a copy of your license and insurance, you will go a long way to possibly winning over a hesitant bride. You only have those emails to sell her.

On the other hand, someone working outside the law got what they deserved and the letter would have been correct.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 22

What a snot. thumbsdown.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 22

So I'm assuming that schools don't teach spelling any longer?

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 3:53pm
post #10 of 22

yes Karateka, agreed, poor bride, it must be difficult for her and others to live in their skin with this uncalled for response-it sounds too personal-but really 5 friends? The letter proposed by VGcea is perfect!-This is the kind of support and info provided by other CC members that I love! Good Luck!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakertainment

"... I will be sure to let my other five friends getting married know this valuebale information and to chose someone else. No need to respond to this last email."

The above statement from this woman is exceptionally odd. There was no need to add that she has five friends getting married. Really, who has five friends that are getting married in the near future? I thought the nasty email was a personal attack. In my opinion, the person who wrote this is not a bride looking for a wedding cake but rather she has another agenda. Perhaps a mean-spirited person who simply wants to hurt your feelings and is using your business as a way to attack.

Miserable people such as the sender must make others feel bad in order to feel better about themselves. If you feel the need to respond, I like vgcea's suggestion. Especially the part, "We understand that not everyone is comfortable with the degree of personalized service we provide thus we encourage you to select a cake provider that makes you comfortable."

JoanieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanieB Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 4:40pm
post #12 of 22

It's so hard not to come back with something just as snotty. Especially with that woman's atrocious spelling. On that note, Vgcea's response is spot on. Someone else mentioned this doesn't sound like a bride at all but someone just acting outright mean. Sorry you had to get this email. If this woman really is a bride...good luck to her future husband.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 5:48pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

On the other hand, someone working outside the law got what they deserved and the letter would have been correct.

Um, no. The letter addresses people working from home. Period. This "customer" never brings up legal or illegal; she says she's uncomfortable with something as personal as being in someone's home. NO ONE "deserves" that email, especially not the OP.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 5:50pm
post #14 of 22

I feel for you. It would be REALLY hard not to respond with a nasty email. But I agree with the previous posters, she doesn't sound like a bride. Why tell you that she's got 5 friends getting married soon? And ITA, who knows that many friends getting married in the near future? Sounds like she's just a troll trying to make you feel badly, for some strange reason. If you DO want to respond I'd send her the note vgcea put together. But I wouldn't put to much thought into this one. I thinks she full of it.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 7:21pm
post #15 of 22

I don't know about anyone else but my first thought after I read her email was "wow what a b!^(h"

As hard as it is I would just let it go. She clearly is looking for an arguement and you will never win. Or i would send vgces' response.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 8:02pm
post #16 of 22

I really don't understand people like this. What is the point of this email?? If she's not comfortable with home based business, just move on! No need to send a snotty email expressing her displeasure.

As hard as it might be to do, I would probably just ignore it. She says no need to respond, so don't! If you feel you need to respond, you can use what vgcea said, or you could just say, "Ok, thanks for letting me know! Good luck with your wedding plans!"

That's it. Short, professional, and to the point. No need to dignify her rudeness trying to explain yourself or your business.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 8:18pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakertainment

"... I will be sure to let my other five friends getting married know this valuebale information and to chose someone else. No need to respond to this last email."

The above statement from this woman is exceptionally odd. There was no need to add that she has five friends getting married. Really, who has five friends that are getting married in the near future? I thought the nasty email was a personal attack. In my opinion, the person who wrote this is not a bride looking for a wedding cake but rather she has another agenda. Perhaps a mean-spirited person who simply wants to hurt your feelings and is using your business as a way to attack.

Miserable people such as the sender must make others feel bad in order to feel better about themselves. If you feel the need to respond, I like vgcea's suggestion. Especially the part, "We understand that not everyone is comfortable with the degree of personalized service we provide thus we encourage you to select a cake provider that makes you comfortable."

I agree with Mimifix on this. It is just such an extreme response that it can't be as simple as that. I have heard of people just writing people randomly just to be mean. I even have heard of people e-mailing people on Craigslist just to antagonize them. I don't get, I think it's bizarre, but it does happen.

And if it was a real enquiry, legal or not, she is just a serious beeyotch.

cakertainment Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 11:53pm
post #18 of 22

Thank you soooo much everyone! I did a little search on Facebook to see if I could find her and I sure did. She just seems like she is extremely miserable from posts I read. She just took it out on me. Funny how the bride I met with today loved the feel of coming to my home and booked on the spot, signed the contract and gave me a deposit! icon_smile.gif

I love the response and I will be sure to keep this in case I ever need it. I decided that it is a waste of my time to reply as it will only end badly and will not get me anywhere. I am the bigger person and I will be "professional" about it. icon_biggrin.gif

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 12:12am
post #19 of 22

[quote="cakertainment"]. She seemed a little "bridezilla" in prior emails but when I told her that I work out of my home and did not have a storefront this is the email I got after I explain I can keep cost a little lower since I do not have overhead to pay and that there are many awesome home bakers everywhere.

Not stating that in ANY way this is really your fault, but some people are just on a hair-trigger switch when it comes to being offended. You stated that you explained to her about why you are at home and that she may not know how many of us home bakers there are out there.
I remember another post where the baker responded to a client's complaint that maybe the client wasn't familiar with "from scratch" recipes. Whoa- this ticked the client off. She was EXTREMELY offended that the baker would assume anything about her.
This may be the case here. She was having a bad day, you made it sound like you assumed she just didn't know about home bakers, and she took it out on you.
Either that or I'm reading too much into it and she's just a b&^T%.
icon_lol.gif

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 12:29am
post #20 of 22

Not every person who contacts a baker is the right client for them.
All the vendors that participate in a wedding are like contract players in a play. You really don't want to agree to do a play where you don't get along with the producer. Sounds like she doesn't have the tack to say, "You aren't what I'm looking for." with respect. That's her bad manners and in no way reflection on your talents.
I totally agree with not contacting her.
Won't be productive for either one of you.

As Debi says.."Next!"

mommachris

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 1:38am
post #21 of 22

I would also add to the email " Since we do not have the high overhead that "bakeries" have we can be more selective in who we accept to make our creations for. We do not have to shlup cookies and other cake in the bins in order to pay our utilities or rent. We are also able to offer more personalized service than these other bakeries, Good luck in your endeavor (sp) as well as your 5 friends.

this girl is a total biatch...and even though she sent a shit letter you should be glad you are not doing her cake because she would be a bigger total biatch...

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 1:45am
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

So I'm assuming that schools don't teach spelling any longer?

LMAO!! Good one, Leah!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%