New Nordic Ware Cake Pop Pan

Baking By Crazyforcupcakes Updated 27 Jan 2012 , 1:49am by Adevag

Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 3:08am
post #1 of 13

I was at Target this evening, and found a Nordic Ware cake pop pan, much like the one advertised on TV, but you don't have to wait to get it in the mail! It was $15.99. Of course, I had to buy one just to try it out. I'll let you know how it works!

12 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 13

Is this the one where you actually bake the cake balls in the pan? Whether it is or not, I'd definitely be interested in hearing how well it worked for you.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 13

This one?
http://www.nordicware.com/store/products/detail/nordic-ware-cake-pop-kit/700EFD84-2673-11E1-B8E4-005056A42C5A

I'm curious to. I have the babycakes cakepop maker and I love it.

Marianna46 Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 3:11am
post #4 of 13

That's the one I was thinking of. I can see it has its advantages, because the balls come out nice and round (not anything like the ones I roll!), but my main reason for making cake balls/pops is to use the leftover cake I have when I carve or lop the domes off my regular cakes. I'd be all for one that shapes these my rolled balls like I want them and standardizes the size. But I'd still like to hear the report on this one. Is it as good as it says it is? I mean, do the cakes really fill out the ball shape or are there sometimes little air pockets left where they haven't risen completely?

MikiChu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikiChu Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 3:53am
post #5 of 13

I purchased the cake pop pan, the cake pops came out chewy and not as tasty as if you make them by hand. It wasn't as fun as I thought it would be and your sticks don't stay either. I actually have two pans because I purchased them on-line and got one free. SO not worth it. icon_sad.gif

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 4:53am
post #6 of 13

Cake balls are usually more like truffles cake and icing rolled very time consuming .
Using a cake pop pan is baking cake in a ball shape . I use the cakepop pan more for making children's treats and decorating .
There is one or more threads on cakepops .You need to read the tips from others and follow the directions that came with.the pan for best results.
To get the sticks to stay in its best to stick the pops in the fridge for a few minutes after inserting before dipping them to.coat whole ball.

MikiChu Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 5:06am
post #7 of 13

Following the directions wasn't the problem, I think for me, the taste wasn't quite the same and the texture was definitely different. The cake pop pan just doesn't make the cake pops seem as "authentic"---like that salsa that comes from New York City.
I can see how keeping the "hand made" pops for special occasions and cake pops from the pan for kid events play in. That makes sense to me now.
I purchased the pan to be able to make more in less time, they just weren't the same and I ended up hand making them anyway. I will say, the cake does form a perfect ball if you don't over fill the pan. That was nice.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakery2012

Cake balls are usually more like truffles cake and icing rolled very time consuming .
Using a cake pop pan is baking cake in a ball shape . I use the cakepop pan more for making children's treats and decorating .
There is one or more threads on cakepops .You need to read the tips from others and follow the directions that came with.the pan for best results.
To get the sticks to stay in its best to stick the pops in the fridge for a few minutes after inserting before dipping them to.coat whole ball.

What do you mean with cake balls are like truffles? I have seen other posts talk about cake truffles and I have never understood what that is. The truffles I make are ganache either rolled in cocoa powder, or coated in chocolate. Are there other truffles?

I have never made cake balls, but became interested when I saw these pans. I assume cake balls made with cake crumbs and icing end up being overly sweet, since they are so small and then on top of being mixed with icing also gets coated with a sweet icing (or candy?).

Anyone who has tried both ways, are the cake balls made from the cake ball pan less sweet since it's "real" cake rather than crumbs?

MikiChu- the batter you used for the cake pops, have you had good results from that same batter for regular cakes or cup cakes? Then it would be strange that this particular size or pan make them chewy.

MikiChu Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 13

Hey Sofia- I only tried a boxed cake mix because I was anxious to try it out. I did add a pudding mix, I think because the instructions suggested it so that the balls were more dense. Maybe I will try a scratch cake batter for my next go-round.
Happy Baking!
Miki
icon_smile.gif

Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 13

I haven't had a chance to try out the new pan yet. Up until now, the only cake pops (or cake balls) I've made are the ones with crumbled cake mixed with frosting, so to me that is a true cake pop. The pops made with these pans are more like doughnut holes to me, but I thought that they might be good if they were injected with frosting in the middle. I also have a Babycakes cake pop maker that I've never used. I'm not sure why I keep buying these products when I'm so set in my ways as far as cake pops go! I just thought that anyone that wanted to try this form of cake pops might like to get the Nordic Ware pan instead of the "buy one get one free" deal on TV. As soon as I do try this pan out, I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Marianna46 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 12:52am
post #11 of 13

Hey, MikiChu, I thought those salsa ads only ran in Texas! Thanks for your feed back. I think I'd still prefer to make my cake balls/pops by hand with leftover cake, but seriously, if anybody knows of a pan that will just make those come out the same size and really round, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Sofia, cake truffles is a more elegant name for cake balls - they're the same thing, and the only thing they have in common with "real" truffles is that they're about the same size and rolled in something. But you gotta admit that truffles sounds a lot more classy than balls.

Marianna46 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 12:53am
post #12 of 13

Hey, MikiChu, I thought those salsa ads only ran in Texas! Thanks for your feed back. I think I'd still prefer to make my cake balls/pops by hand with leftover cake, but seriously, if anybody knows of a pan that will just make those come out the same size and really round, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Sofia, cake truffles is a more elegant name for cake balls - they're the same thing, and the only thing they have in common with "real" truffles is that they're about the same size and rolled in something. But you gotta admit that truffles sounds a lot more classy than balls.

Crazyforcupcakes, I like your description of the balls that come out of these Nordic Ware pans as doughnut holes. It seems right on the mark.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 1:49am
post #13 of 13

icon_smile.gif Yes, I like the name cake truffles too. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else.

My last cake was a carved cake and it really felt like such a waste with all the cake scraps. I thought of all the beautiful cake pops I've seen here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%