Hanging Moon Cake?

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 23 Jan 2012 , 4:45am by Rachie204

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 1:21am
post #1 of 6

I am wanting to make a moon cake for my sons 8th birthday that I can actually hang from the ceiling that will basically be in mid air. I saw a similar cake done on a very small scale with the Wilton ball pan but we will need cake for aprox. 60 guests. I have a plan but wanted to get some feed back on it. I was thinking of having a wire or rope of some sort to hold the cake up. I was then thinking about using a wooden round for the cake to sit on. On the bottom of the wood I thought I would carve some foam to form the bottom of the moon, and the top half of the moon would be real cake carved to a round shape and sit on the wooden platform. Once it was covered in fondant it would all look the same. What do yall think? Any better ideas? Sound like it will work well?

5 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 3:33am
post #2 of 6

Hi

I have never suspended a cake in midair BUT from what i am reading, I can picture yr strategy in my head and sounds like it could work BUT just one thing I think i would use an internal rod support for this cake. You can drill a hole into the center of the wood base and attach a a sturdy rod in the center and screw on a flange or using a washer and nut to tighten the attachment underneath. that way you can begin to build ontop of that and it will support yr cake as well as be a good source of support for the suspension process.

I hope that you can get what Im saying bc its hard to explain it but I can see it clearly in my mind, lol.

maybe someone has done this type of suspension before and can assist you with ideas as well. Good luck.

HTH

Rachie204 Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 4:02am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the response, I think I understand exactly what you mean, if not my husband will. Who are we kidding, lol he will surly be the one doing the building part of the cake, i'm only good for the baking and decorating LOL

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 4:18am
post #4 of 6

I hope none of your son's friends mistake it for a pinata and smack it with a broom handle when you're not watching!

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 4:23am
post #5 of 6

I think that sounds awesome! But I do agree with the PP about having a rod bolted to the cake board. And I personally would have some kind of loop threaded onto the top, not glued. It's all going to be pretty heavy and you would need the support. In my head I'm thinking more like a hanging lantern with chain attached to the top and to the ceiling, to something screwed into a support beam. Awesome idea, I hope it works the way you want!

Rachie204 Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 4:45am
post #6 of 6

Marian- LOL some of the kids he is inviting....Lord help me. Maybe we will hang it out of reach icon_smile.gif

Sammie-thanks. His birthday isn't until mid March but I will post some pictures here with the final results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%