Tips On Better Writing?

Decorating By Sarah2418 Updated 22 Jan 2012 , 5:32pm by cakemaker2

Sarah2418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarah2418 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 9

I need some tips to making my writing better. I've been decorating cakes for a hobby for a year now, and my writing is still not that great. If anyone has any good tips please share.

8 replies
Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 12:13am
post #2 of 9

I'm just a hobby baker myself and I also have a little trouble with writing. What I have found is that if I hold the tip closer to the cake the writing is a lot neater. Some people also recommend that you write with a toothpick and then go over it in icing.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 12:24am
post #3 of 9

I think that making a line with a little ruler or making the letters first with a toothpick is a good idea so that the writing isn't crooked. Also, planning where the letters will be so that your words don't go right off the cake. When piping let the icing "fall" onto the cake. Keep in mind... when writing with a pen, your fingers do the work, when writing with icing, your wrist/arm does the work. And practice first on some wax or parchment paper. Hope that helps you out a bit. icon_smile.gif

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 1:24am
post #4 of 9

Ditto what the Sugar Fairy said and be sure to add piping gel to your thin consistency icing. Practice, practice, practice.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 1:27am
post #5 of 9

My instructor taught me using the toothpick. I pick the font I want, print what I want to write on the cake out on computer paper, then set it on my cake and trace the letters with a toothpick. Then I go over that with my thinned icing. Works great.

brenda549 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenda549 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 1:39am
post #6 of 9

Great tips so far from previous posters. I also find if I use a small amount of icing and use the smallest bag I have, allowing my hand to fold in as compact as possible, helps with control. Some people make small parchment bags for piping writing.

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 1:46am
post #7 of 9

I have a lot better luck if I don't try to write in cursive. Also when I pipe out the lettering instead of trying to make it perfectly straight and even I make it uneven or a little off on purpose. I can usually do it pretty easy freestyle that way and it kind of makes it look fun and not so formal. Hard to explain but I have a few cakes in my gallery you can see what I mean. Oh...and practice, practice, practice!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 2:06am
post #8 of 9

For printing, consistency doesn't much matter.
For cursive handwriting, thin your icing with more liquid or piping gel. You want it soupy enough to flow. Don't "draw" it on, pipe just a little above the cake to let it drop and write fast.

It's helpful to watch others write. Have you seen my video in the link below?

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 9

I use a laser leveler to make straight lines on my cake, for writing.
It shoots a line of light over the cake. When I'm done, there are no lines to see.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%