Cake Falling In The Center... Need To Bake Again Soon!

Baking By mplaidgirl2 Updated 10 Feb 2012 , 5:21am by mplaidgirl2

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 9

This is one of the best chocolate cake recipes I've ever tasted EVER.
The first time I baked it it came out fine.
Now it seems to be falling in the middle.
I'm hoping one of the experts on this site can help me out.
I've tried so many chocolate recipes but this is by far my
favorite.. And I don't want to let it go!

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 ounces black coffee , cooled

8 replies
mplaidgirl2 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 9

I should also add that I use bake even strips when I bake even small tiers. (No problem at all with vanilla, red velvet..Pumpkin... etc)

mplaidgirl2 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 9

Anyone at all? More baking soda? Baking powder. I'm really at a loss and I'm hoping for some assistance. icon_sad.gif

smm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smm99 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 12:08am
post #4 of 9

As I warned in another post where I offered some baking advice, I'm pretty new to all this, but I'd like to help, so, here's my guess.
Cakes can fall for a number of reasons, as I'm sure you know already. But, one of them is too much leavening, which weakens the cake's structure. My favourite chocolate cake recipe has the same number of cups of flour as yours, but HALF the chemical leavening (eg. baking powder, soda). Perhaps try cutting out the baking powder altogether? It seems to me that the amount of soda that you use should be enough for those ingredients. HTH. Let me know how it goes if you try my suggestion!

ETA: I just looked at your recipe again, and it also occurred to me that there is a lot of liquid - too much liquid can also cause sinking!

exquisitecakesbydonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
exquisitecakesbydonna Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 12:29am
post #5 of 9

You might try a Stick of butter in place of the oil

mplaidgirl2 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 2:54am
post #6 of 9

Thanks! Do you think I should do both Butter and take out the baking powder?

You guys rock!!

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 2:59am
post #7 of 9

I copied the recipe for you, I hope it will out ok. One thing do not open de oven until 45 minutes have passed if not you will have a hole in the middle.
Print Share
HERSHEY'S "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" Chocolate Cake
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Skill level: Beginner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ingredients
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING (recipe follows)
Directions

1 Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
2 Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
3 Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10 to 12 servings. VARIATIONS: ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350° F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost. BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15

smm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smm99 Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 3:04am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplaidgirl2

Thanks! Do you think I should do both Butter and take out the baking powder?

You guys rock!!

Don't change too many things at once, or you'll never know what worked (or didn't)! If your goal is to perfect this recipe because you like it, then change one thing at a time and see what result you get. There is a VERY similar thread going on right now with a VERY similar recipe, and from what I can see, the "consensus" is that there is too much liquid and too much leavening.

mplaidgirl2 Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 5:21am
post #9 of 9

So my report back. I tried it with less coffee.. 4 oz instead of 8oz. It didn't sink but it didn't taste quite right.

I rebaked with ALL the liquid and just took out the baking powder and PERFECT! Super moist! Didn't fall in the center and oh so chocolately. Thanks for you help everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%