Dummy Cake

Decorating By candygurl15 Updated 21 Jan 2012 , 1:53am by msthang1224

candygurl15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candygurl15 Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 2

Hi All,
I'm an amateur cake decorator and I'm getting married next year. I want to do my own cake because I want something spectacular (without having to spend a fortune). Since attempting to make an extravagant cake the day before/of my wedding isn't feasible, I'm highly considering doing a dummy cake with a real layer to cut into. I'd then serve my guests from a sheet cake in the back. I've never worked with foam cake layers before. Does anyone have any tips for me? I'd really appreciate any help! icon_smile.gif

1 reply
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 1:53am
post #2 of 2

Hi'

You can make your wedding cake partial dummy/foam and 1 tier (the middle) a real cake. I mean to make it realistic as far as taking the "cutting the cake " picture, i myself would do the middle tier. Only bc the middle tier would be smaller than the bottom tier thus saving money. Usually a couple cuts into the bottom but, hey, who says that you have to follow everyone else, right icon_smile.gif lol. So, you could probably do:

6" dummy, 8' or 10' (cake), 12' dummy

You would cover the dummy cakes using piping gel brushed all over to have something for the fondant to adhere itself too and stay put as well, then decorate as you please.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%