Ideas For Grooms Cake??

Decorating By farley4ohana Updated 20 Jan 2012 , 6:52pm by farley4ohana

farley4ohana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farley4ohana Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 3

I'm a beginning decorator and I offered to make my brother-in-law's grooms cake. Here's what I'm thinking: He loves Irish music, photography, hiking. I'm thinking of making a shamrock shaped cake with heart cake pans and the stem cut out of a sheet cake. I want to write the logos of his favorite irish bands out of chocolate or frozen buttercream transfers-I've tried the transfers and think it could work.

My main question is this: How do you think I should incorporate the camera and hiking boots? I tried making a camera "sculpture" out of rice krispies and it does resemble a camera, but I'm not sure if I'll be good enough to get details right using fondant or modeling chocolate. Any other ideas? Should I try the frozen buttercream or chocolate for those too?
I have also thought of doing a two tier round cake instead, but their wedding cake is two tiers, and I don't want the grooms cake to overshadow the wedding cake!!! Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!!Thanks!!

2 replies
pinkfluffycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkfluffycupcake Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 3

I really like your idea of the shamrock! You could torte the cakes and make an Irish Cream filling (yum!). Personally, I wouldn't incorporate the hiking boots and camera, though; just keep the decorations simple, classy and elegant. You could also print small copies of the "Irish Wedding Blessing" for guests to keep.

farley4ohana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farley4ohana Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your response! I do want it to look classy, but I can't figure out a way to incorporate the ideas AND make it look good! I thought about making this more of a "fun" cake, since they'll already have a classy wedding cake...KWIM? But If I made it a two tier, it would class it up, and then I could pipe a few shamrocks on the cake...Can you tell I'm a little overwhelmed?! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%