For Love Of Art, Baking In Pain...

Decorating By ladyren Updated 21 Jan 2012 , 1:00am by inspiredbymom

ladyren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyren Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 13

I have been diagnosed with a debilitating physical illness for nearly ten years, now. This severely impacts my day to day life. I have learned tips and techniques in order to maintain an active life, inspite of it all, and know that things could be so much worse. I am always looking for new advice on being productive with my illness. Are there other bakers, hobbyists or professional, who have a life altering illness? What words of advice have you found to be invaluable? How do you maintain a positive outlook on your art when it seems most bleak? How do you work around your illness? Are there things you have had to stop doing, because you simply can't (such as piping, because of painful joints, etc.)

12 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 13

I am so sorry you are going through this. I think if you are determined, you can make it work. I hope you can find a way to do the things you love without having to sacrifice so much.

A big hug to you.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 13

I wished I had some advice for you. I have arthritis in both ankles and feet. I've been to two drs. and neither one of them gave me any information on how to deal with it. I have found that drinking water helps a bunch. I can not take pain medication so I'm glad to find some relief. The only thing I can not do (but working on regaining the ability and comfort level) is go for walks for exercise. In the end, it makes my stress level higher as well as my weight. I know that I will get back to where I used to be with support from my family and my faith. That is my goal and I have to believe that I will get there! I hope that you find a working level and peace with your illness. Support groups help. I don't have one but I have talked to a professional about my aggravations on my own. It seemed to help. Of course I can not afford to do that on a regular basis, but it helped me learn to keep my chin up and smile even when I don't want to. Best wishes and hugs to you. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this.

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 13

I too have some arthritis and other problems . Eliminate as many chemicals as you can from your diet . Never use artificial sweetners. Never drink.diet sodas . The less carbohydrates you consume the less inflammation in your joints .
I hate to say this here but try to eat as little sugar as
possible
Stay hydrated drink plenty of water daily . .
But mostly eat a diet of whole foods . Plenty of fruits and vegetables, unproccessed meats that are baked broiled or grilled. Nuts and seeds are also goo
Flax seed oil is good for inflammation and your heart .

inspiredbymom Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 13

cakery2012: LOL! I have to admit, I don't each much cake! Thanks for the other info though. I have found out some of that through trial and error. What I eat or drink vs. the pain level the next day. It's pretty sad when you have to do that because you can't get that kind of info from the pros. All I ever got on that end is can I write you a scrip? Grrrrr. I'm glad that you posted. I am glad that I have actually been heading down the right track and not crazy! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 13

I have a very bad back so I needed to get gel pads on the floor and special shoes to help. I also found that stretching exercised help A LOT! I would suggest focusing on what you can do then slowly branching out -- that way you will always have confidence in your abilities no matter how debilitated your body gets. Good luck to you! icon_biggrin.gif

KarensFaith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarensFaith Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I have a very bad back so I needed to get gel pads on the floor and special shoes to help. I also found that stretching exercised help A LOT! I would suggest focusing on what you can do then slowly branching out -- that way you will always have confidence in your abilities no matter how debilitated your body gets. Good luck to you! icon_biggrin.gif

I have a very bad back, too. Stretching does help. I often have to decorate my cakes sitting down. I also have Fibromyalgia...ugh! I will look into the gel pads and shoes. Thanks for telling about those. icon_smile.gif

Karen

Cakery2012 Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 13

@inspiredmom. I dont have a problem with.eating much cake its the frosting .Its like Crack for me . Im ok when there is none . but one taste and well I cant just stop .

Everyone especially those with health issues needs to google the effects of aspartame and monosoduim glutamate. Of course there will be sites that say they are safe . monsanto makers of aspartame and searle
the distributer of nurasweet bought off the FDA. more than one guy who worked for searle got onthe FDA board.
would you give your kids a drink with formalehdye?
Then you better never give your kids diet soda .
aspartame and Msg are both neurotoxins .

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 13

I have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel- last year. It made my arms go numb all the time- like a dull achy and persistant pain. I started baking cakes last September- I do data entry by day..and then add baking every night - all of a sudden it definitely flared up- really bad in November-numb arms were nothing compared to what happened to my wrists. I had to wear braces on my wrists almost all day- and I only made two cakes in the last two months icon_sad.gif
But after that break- I am back to where I started from -almost- but I know from here on out to take it easy when it comes to things that will end up hurting me.
I always heat up my fondant for about 20 seconds in the microwave before rolling- so it's a lot easier to work with....I wear my braces when I do any sort of piping since that causes pain.
I am just way more aware of what I do with my hands...from lifting heavy things to the way I stir now- I want to be able to do this for a very long time- I love it, and I want to be able to make really professional cakes eventually....so I know now to take it easy on everything I do-so I don't cause any real damage this early in my life.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 13

One thing that really helps is to plan your projects. Spread the work of making the cake and decorating it over a few days so you don't overdo it or get too tired. And a good mixer is a big help too.

I have more pain in the winter when the weather is changing often, so I do a lot less in the winter.

Cakery2012 Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 13

@inspiredmom. I dont have a problem with.eating much cake its the frosting .Its like Crack for me . Im ok when there is none . but one taste and well I cant just stop .

Everyone especially those with health issues needs to google the effects of aspartame and monosoduim glutamate. Of course there will be sites that say they are safe . monsanto makers of aspartame and searle
the distributer of nurasweet bought off the FDA. more than one guy who worked for searle got onthe FDA board.
would you give your kids a drink with formalehdye?
Then you better never give your kids diet soda .
aspartame and Msg are both neurotoxins .

ladyren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyren Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 12:03am
post #12 of 13

Thank you for all of the replies. Sometimes it feels like baking is all I have left, lol. I can work around my energy and pain and there is such an intrinsic reward when you give something to the ones you love, that you made special, just for them. It is definitely hard not to sample everything and to maintain a decent diet, though. I have the sweet tooth from Hades!!

inspiredbymom Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 1:00am
post #13 of 13

Yeah, the icing. That will do it! My pie crust. That does it to me. Chocolate too.....as I have 25# of Guittard sitting on the shelf.....1/2 of that is dark chocolate. MMMMMM

OP, I hope you can continue to work. I know what you mean about baking is all you have. I really get into the designs and the people. My "day" job is stressful so this brings peace.......That and CC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%