10X Sugar And Cane Sugar

Decorating By inspiredbymom Updated 19 Jan 2012 , 10:59pm by BlakesCakes

inspiredbymom Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 5

I have read "somewhere" that 10x sugar is finer than regular powdered sugar. Is this true and is it worth the extra money?

I currently use the great value store brand. It does not say cane sugar. Cane sugar is twice the money here. I have had good luck with it but am always looking to improve things! What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your opinions!

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 5

I always buy 10x cane sugar.

I think the generic sugar is 10x also, unless it's marked something different. I've seen big boxes of 7x at Sam's.

I quit using Walmart's generic sugar a few years back because it had an odd chemical taste. I don't know if it still does, but it was worth the extra 50 cents to me to get better sugar and not end up throwing out batches of frosting.

sillywabbitz Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 5

Powedered sugar that does not say Cane Sugar is partly beet sugar. Beet sugar has a tendency to make buttercream grainy. And it's one of those things you can use generic PS for years and one day you just get a bad batch. Happened to me and I finally committed to 10X cane. Where I am the price difference isn't super significant. Oh and at my sam's the bulk PS was beet sugar and it totally changed the consistency of my buttercream. Luckily I could still use it for other things like cookies but it just didn't cut it for BC.

scp1127 Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 5

Sam's Domino sugar in the exact same bag is inferior the supermarket bags too.

I have recently had to start buying sugar in larger quantities for a national project. Because it was melted, I didn't notice a difference. Then I used some to make a cake. I always sift all of my dry ingredients and this sugar left large crystals in the sifter. I ended up running the sugar through my processor to fix the consistency. But this extra step is not cost effective. I now keep the sugars separate and still go to the good stuff for cakes.

The number before the x is how many times it has been ground and indicates how fine the crystals end up. The cornstarch is added because the crystals tend to stick together as the get smaller.

BlakesCakes Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 5

If the box/bag doesn't say cane sugar, then it's beet sugar.
I don't like the results with beet sugar.

All US powdered sugar has about 3% cornstarch to prevent caking & sticking during processing.

The number indicates the # of times it's been ground, the higher the number the finer the powder.

I use Domino 10X or C&H.

Quote by @%username% on %date%