First Time With Fondant--Questions

Decorating By elaineinplane Updated 21 Jan 2012 , 2:58pm by elaineinplane

elaineinplane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elaineinplane Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone,

I'm a pretty good baker (I think). But I'm curious about cake decorating with fondant. My birthday is coming up in a month and I'd like to make myself a simple, yet nice AND delicious cake covered in fondant. Maybe a bow or just stars and dots. My question is: what is the best fondant to use for a first timer? I've read that Wilton's taste horrible; Satin Ice is yummy, but is it easy to work with? Also, what are essential tools for first-time fondant making? Thanks in advance! Would love to hear a reply!

4 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 12:07am
post #2 of 5

I can help with which to use as I'm not in the US but I can help with tools.

You need a rolling pin. Some people in the US use pipes from the hardware store which are used to transport drinking water, that way they are food safe. I use this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00237QFQG/?tag=cakecentral-20

You also need some fondant smoothers. My preference is for the clear acrylic ones so that you can see what is going on under them but any of the others will work too.

You also need either crisco, powdered sugar or corn starch to roll it out on. My preference is corn starch unless I am working with marzipan (corn starch causes marzipan to go mouldy).

You need a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut away the excess.

That's pretty much it.

macie2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macie2011 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 12:19am
post #3 of 5

Satin Ice is easy to work with, it's just expensive. I would suggest icing the cake in buttercream and only doing the decorations fondant, that way it tastes better. Also an X-ACTO knife is really handy for fodant.

mo_gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo_gateaux Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 12:31am
post #4 of 5

Congrats on trying out fondant for the first time! If you're in north america, I think the least expensive way to get your start up tools would be to go to Michaels, AC Moore, or Joanne Fabrics with your coupons and buy a couple supplies (fondant smoother, rolling mat, rolling pin). If you already have a silicone rolling pin that'll work fine, but if you need one i would recommend getting the long white one... (but that's personal choice). In place of the wilton rolling mat, for a couple more dollars you can get "the mat" from sweetwise which i plan on ordering myself. People say it's great and it apparently helps when rolling out your fondant because it won't dry out.
You can buy the fondant shape cutters, but if you already have a cookie cutters in the shapes you want, there's no need.... i say use what you have, I even use my icing tips for my polka dots!
As for fondant, i started out with satin ice and haven't had a problem. Apparently you can over kneed it, but it's been fine for me. The owner of the decorating store in my area also likes fondarific.
as for the bow you'd like to make, you'll want to use some gumpaste or add tylose powder to your fondant. This is because the fondant won't harden without it. You can make this in advance... it won't go bad.
good luck! and please be sure to post photos!

elaineinplane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elaineinplane Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for your replies. Scrambling looking for my Michael's coupons to get my tools. I will also try Satin Ice and play with it. Thanks again. Glad I asked here first!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%