Settling Time For Cake??

Business By Trance Updated 23 Feb 2012 , 9:08pm by mena2002

Trance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trance Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 8

If I bake a cake in the morning and cover it with fondant in the evening will that give it enough time for the cake to settle so I don't get droopy fondant?
Thanks in advance=
Trance

7 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 8

What size is the cake? A 6" cake will take less time to settle than a 16" cake.
Do you put anthing on the cakes to speed up the process? Some people put a book or piece of tile on top of the cake to push it down faster.
Are you using buttercream or ganache under the fondant? Ganache will help hold the fondant up if the cake sags better than buttercream.

In any case, I would think you will be fine.

Trance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trance Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 8

Its a 14 inch round that Im filling with fresh strawberries and custard. Icing it with buttercream then covering with fondant. Yes, I usually put books on top, but I normally bake the day before I decorate , so I wasn't sure if it would be OK. Thanks for your help!!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 8

Fresh strawberries and custard MUST be refrigerated and cake won't settle while in the refrigerator, which could be a good thing especially if you're going to serve the cake cold or slightly chilled because it won't have time to settle. I'd give the layers a good press before filling and hope you don't get an after bulge since the cake can't sit out at room temperature for longer than a few hours total anyway.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 9:48am
post #5 of 8

icon_redface.gif I learn new things every day. Fondant cakes have to "settle?" My newbie cake-decorating mind is stupefied at my cluelessness LOL. Could someone please explain to me what the means? So when I cover a cake with fondant I have to put some weight on it?

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea

icon_redface.gif I learn new things every day. Fondant cakes have to "settle?" My newbie cake-decorating mind is stupefied at my cluelessness LOL. Could someone please explain to me what the means? So when I cover a cake with fondant I have to put some weight on it?

Not just fondant cakesALL cakes settle. You can get a bulge between cake layers or sagging fondant as they settle.

Here's a thread about what leah_s does to make the settling process happen quicker:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=633571&highlight=trick

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 8

^^ Just saw this post. Thank you!

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea

Not just fondant cakesALL cakes settle. You can get a bulge between cake layers or sagging fondant as they settle.

Here's a thread about what leah_s does to make the settling process happen quicker:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=633571&highlight=trick

You learn something new everyday, Thanks thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%