Noob Question On Stacking

Decorating By sharc Updated 19 Jan 2012 , 3:51pm by sharc

sharc Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 3

HI everyone,

I'm on the crunch to make a car cake for a good friend's surprise birthday. . . I'll be modelling it after one I've seen in a Debbie Brown book, and because it'll be for about 20-ish people decided to do a sheet cake underneath to make sure everyone gets a piece.

But what do I use to put the car on top of to stack? I bought a bag of these 4" wilton plastic kinda skinny dowels/picks, and I bought a 16" (wilton) cake base for the bottom, but what will my plastic sticks and say a stiff piece of cardboard work? or do I need to maybe run and buy that kinda thin foamcore stuff from michaels? I don't want to really see the board sitting on top of the sheet cake. . . just want it to look like the car on top of the cake, but what should that inner support be made of?

I've already baked the (wasc) cakes and from what I read here need to fill tonight and maybe let it sit and then tomorrow night I'll decorate as it's for a dinner on Saturday. Please help!

2 replies
cupadeecakes Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 3

I would just leave the car on a thin, cardboard cake board. Just use a serrated knife to cut the board to the exact size of your car cake. If you're careful, you can even do it with the car on the board.

You can use whatever support you like in the sheet cake. I use regular drinking straws, but a lot of people here use use bubble tea straws or even wooden dowels. You can use the big Wilton columns if you want. Just cut them flush with the sheet cake and then buttercream over them and lay your car cake on top. HTH!

sharc Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 3

great. . . thanks cupadee cakes icon_smile.gif hopefully it works out. This is my first stacked cake and I'm super nervous!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%