Making Own Cake For Birthday , Taboo?

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 19 Jan 2012 , 9:32pm by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 6:18pm
post #31 of 39

I just wanted to thank you all for your comments and inspiration! WE have decided on a birthday cake icon_surprised.gif I got an epiphany last night after reading all of your inspirational thoughts. Started thinking about doing a "new" technique and I thought about how I could include what we were doing into our birthday. Well, we're going COSMIC bowling after dinner...and what better way to highlight that fun than with A GLOW IN THE DARK CAKE! yessss! we're so flipping excited!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 7:28pm
post #32 of 39

Good for you! Have fun and can't wait to see the cake icon_smile.gif

step0nmi Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 8:59pm
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinslow

Good for you! Have fun and can't wait to see the cake icon_smile.gif

thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 9:09pm
post #34 of 39

So are you using the tonic water?

step0nmi Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 9:17pm
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

So are you using the tonic water?

YES! that's when i thought this would be awesome to use! something new!

i think we are going to do a splatter technique with a few colors and royal icing. that way the tonic water is used to its ability and nothing like butter standing in the way of it glowing icon_wink.gif

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 9:21pm
post #36 of 39

1st off I cant wait to see your glow in the dark cake (awesome) make sure to post pics.
2nd my birthday is tomorrow I will NOT make my own cake. (Happy birthday to me you get a day off) I think that every birthday should be celebrated, we will have dinner with my parents and three kids. I am turning 31 and do not expect a cake from anyone especiallly ME icon_biggrin.gif
Oh and Happy Birthday to all you who have b-days coming up OH and to me too icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 9:22pm
post #37 of 39

That's exciting. I remember reading about it a long time ago. I think someone sprayed the final cake with a mist of tonic water or something.

I love bowling by the way. Cosmic is fun but expensive. Does your husband also decorate? I wish my DH would get in on it with me, but all he's good for is QCing everything haha.

step0nmi Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 9:30pm
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecraving

1st off I cant wait to see your glow in the dark cake (awesome) make sure to post pics.
2nd my birthday is tomorrow I will NOT make my own cake. (Happy birthday to me you get a day off) I think that every birthday should be celebrated, we will have dinner with my parents and three kids. I am turning 31 and do not expect a cake from anyone especiallly ME icon_biggrin.gif
Oh and Happy Birthday to all you who have b-days coming up OH and to me too icon_smile.gif

Happy Birthday!!! thumbs_up.gif if you wanna take a day off...you should! i'm just really in the caking mood! lol

step0nmi Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 9:32pm
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

That's exciting. I remember reading about it a long time ago. I think someone sprayed the final cake with a mist of tonic water or something.

I love bowling by the way. Cosmic is fun but expensive. Does your husband also decorate? I wish my DH would get in on it with me, but all he's good for is QCing everything haha.

yes, cosmic is a little more expensive, but we don't really drink so it's not a big deal. my husband does also decorate with me sometimes. he's an artist and going to school for that right now.

i saw that they "sprayed" the tonic water on that cake and it didn't really work icon_confused.gif i already found a recipe for actual buttercream but since tonic isn't toxic and food friendly i am only using it in the accent and will probably do a bunch! tee hee icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%