Impression (Imbossing)

Decorating By lamcf120 Updated 18 Jan 2012 , 11:39pm by Texas_Rose

lamcf120 Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 1:53am
post #1 of 8

Hello, I have a cake to make next week and it will have a embossing effect on the side. The problem is the embossing is a very particular pattern. How can I make a homemade embosser? I heard that you can outline the pattern on wax paper with royal icing and let it dry and them use it to press into the cake. Does any know if this works? Does anyone have any other suggestions?? TIA

7 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 2:04am
post #2 of 8

Do you mean truly Embossed, which means the raised side is facing out? If so and it's a fondant cake, you can make the design out of fondant/gumpaste and attach it to the crumb coat. The when you place your fondant over the entire cake you gently work the fondant into the groves and you have a raised pattern on the outside.

lamcf120 Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 8

I guess it's not imbossing. What I'm looking to do is what crimpers do. Make an impression into the fondant. I have a LV cake to make and the logo needs to be pressed into the fondant rather than painted on. Any help would be greatly appreiacated.

TexasSugar Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 8

On the pink and black cake in my photos, I took royal icing and piped it on a piece of glass (taken from a picture frame) and after the icing dried pressed that against the side of my cake to get the impression to follow when I was piping in all the lines (I have freehanding issues).

That could work for you as long as what you pipe on the glass is very clean and smooth, any lines or dots in it could show up when you press it. After you pipe it on the glass I'd take a very slightly damp brush and brush over it to smooth it out before the royal icing dries.

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 8

You can get a patterned rolling pin like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Texture-rolling-pin-FAMOUS-BAG-DESIGNER-/300641234031

Otherwise, what about some clear acrylic stamps and a mounting block? Find a font that looks close to what you need and then you can just put the LV on the mounting block.

lamcf120 Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 8

Excellent help, thank you!

shanter Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 11:29pm
post #7 of 8

What is an LV cake?

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

What is an LV cake?

Usually a cake that looks like a Louis Vuitton handbag icon_biggrin.gif