First Wedding Cake: What Size Square Tiers?

Decorating By sarahcake32 Updated 26 Jan 2012 , 1:16am by step0nmi

sarahcake32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahcake32 Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 12:19am
post #1 of 6

I'm preparing to make my first wedding cake. (Yikes!) There will be about 80 people, but I would like to have a little extra in case more guests show up. So cake for 100 people. They want each tier to be square, but they haven't answered if they want to save the top tier or not. So either way they go, what size square pans should I use?

Thanks!
Sarah

5 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 1:33am
post #2 of 6

6-8-10x 4" is 100 servings.

sarahcake32 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 6

OK so the bride and groom want to keep the top tier or later, and they still plan to have 80 people. I looked at the Wilton chart, and was thinking I could do a 12-9-6, so the bottom two tiers should be enough for 100 (in case they have more people). But I noticed that's assuming a cake slice of 1"x2". Is that really how big the hotel (with cake cutting service) will cut them? Is it just me, or is that a really small piece of cake?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 6

sarah, that is NOT a small piece of cake...found the portions on our site from another baker the other day: http://media.cakecentral.com/files/cakes_on_plates__copy_143.jpg

a wedding serving SHOULD be the bottom right cake. and most hotels know how to cut a cake

sarahcake32 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 6

Wow the visual really helps! Thanks!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 1:16am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahcake32

Wow the visual really helps! Thanks!

if you still feel like they might not cut the cake correctly...you could print that out for them and/or find the wilton serving charts. square is the easiest to cut because you just go two inches in and then cut one inch slices down the cake icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%