Peanut Allergy And My Mixer - Please Help.

Decorating By Corinne77 Updated 18 Jan 2012 , 2:18pm by AdalynL

Corinne77 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 8

If I am making something for someone that has a peanut allergy and I have used almond extract in my mixing bowl in the past, but all equipment has been run through the HOT dishwasher, is it ok to use it??? I don't have any peanuts in my house and won't use any nut related ingredients in the recipes.

Please help!!!

Thanks!!!

7 replies
jason_kraft Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 8

If the bowl is non-porous (glass or stainless steel) and it has been cleaned thoroughly you should be fine. Any equipment with a porous surface (wood) that comes in contact with an allergen should be considered permanently contaminated with that allergen.

Someone with a peanut allergy will not have a reaction to almonds unless they also have a separate almond allergy...peanuts are actually legumes, not nuts.

cookiekisses Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 8

Where I live there are many children with nut allergies and some with peanut allergies. As long as your metal or glass bowls and paddles have been washed well with soap, they should be fine. I bake cookies on stoneware and I have one stone designated nut and peanut free. The others are not necessarily nut free and if I am baking for an event that will have some of these children there, I use parchment paper. I also only use imitation almond extract in my kitchen. I have also found a very good substitution for the amaretto in my vodka/amaretto cake (it gives an exact flavor, and it's cheaper!). If you are still worried, you can speak to the client about this. Be matter-of-fact. She will appreciate you being upfront and honest.

shanter Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 8

Check your almond extract. My niece is allergic to all nuts and peanuts so, like cookiekisses, I always use imitation almond extract.

CarolinaGirlAsh Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 2:42am
post #5 of 8

I would say that like everyone else has said, if your bowls and equipment are glass or stainless then you should be fine. I speak from experience on this as I have nut allergies myself and after cleaning I have not had any trouble. Also regarding the almond extract, again speaking as someone who has severe nut allergies (all nuts and peanuts) and as someone who has studied allergies in a professional arena, in some cases people can be allergic to different parts of the nut and may not be allergic to the extract even if they are allergic to the nut itself (i.e. allergic to peanuts but not peanut oil). I am allergic to almonds but not to natural almond extract.

Corinne77 Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 2:58am
post #6 of 8

Thank you everyone! This is just what I thought. I just wanted to be sure. I disclosed all to the client.

Thanks again!

jason_kraft Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 3:14am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGirlAsh

Also regarding the almond extract, again speaking as someone who has severe nut allergies (all nuts and peanuts) and as someone who has studied allergies in a professional arena, in some cases people can be allergic to different parts of the nut and may not be allergic to the extract even if they are allergic to the nut itself (i.e. allergic to peanuts but not peanut oil). I am allergic to almonds but not to natural almond extract.



When oils are refined correctly, the proteins (which are what causes the allergic reaction) are filtered out and removed from the end product, which is why oils and extracts may not cause the reaction.

I personally still don't trust peanut oil or almond extract (I also have severe nut and peanut allergies). We also use imitation almond extract in our products -- it's cheaper and people can't tell the difference between real and imitation.

AdalynL Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 2:18pm
post #8 of 8

If you're really concerned, a 10:1 water to bleach ratio is a good sanitizer as well. It will take out any bits of peanut oil that may remain, just soak your items for 30-60min and then rinse and you should be fine. I'm allergic to shellfish and if a restaurant wipes boards/blades with a bleach mix I don't have any problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%