Experienced Bakers...how Do You Get Your Equipment Back??

Decorating By CarolLee Updated 19 Jan 2012 , 2:09am by leah_s

CarolLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolLee Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 11

Hey guys - When you've made and delivered a wedding cake with the sps systems or masonite boards and other stacking tools - and if the venue is far, far away - how do you get it all back? Charge a deposit? Stay there for the event?? Do the cutting and serving?

In my limited experience people forget all about you after the party is done. These supplies are way too expensive to let it go....What do ya'll DO?!?!?!

10 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 11

Charge the full price (including shipping cost for replacement) PLUS deposit, if you don't get it back, it's of no loss to you, hassle perhaps, but no loss

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 11

I use Stress Free Supports, which is a system of steel rings and removable plastic legs. When the cake is delivered, I give the client a prepaid Priority Mail box and instructions to toss the supplies in the box, seal it up and drop it at the post office.

If I use a large masonite board, I build the cost into the cake price, so I don't need it returned.

The deposit is always replacement cost of the items plus expedited shipping charge, just in case I need replacements immediately. When I receive the box of supplies in the mail, I send a refund check.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 11

I have them leave me a hefty check for the amount to replace my equipment. If the items are not returned by such and such a date, the check is cashed. Period.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 11

I just don't offer anything I would need back. Honestly, after I've delivered the cake, I don't want anything to have to keep track of. Dno't have the time, don't want the headache. If I do a masonite board, they can throw it. If I use SPS (once in a blue moon), they can toss it. If they need a cake stand, they can rent one from a party supply place.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I have them leave me a hefty check for the amount to replace my equipment. If the items are not returned by such and such a date, the check is cashed. Period.

That can be risky. If they know they're not going to return your stuff, they could stop payment on the check. Of course, that's a whole new pile of headaches, but why take the chance?

I always inform my client that I will be cashing their deposit check. So far, no complaints. icon_smile.gif

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 11

Hi

I charge my customers for the price of the equipment and shipping (if applicable) as well, when I get the equipment back, they get deposit back minus rental fee (if they are renting cupcake stands, cake base etc).

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

That can be risky. If they know they're not going to return your stuff, they could stop payment on the check. Of course, that's a whole new pile of headaches, but why take the chance?

I always inform my client that I will be cashing their deposit check. So far, no complaints. icon_smile.gif

I've thought about that but I've had no problems. I also know where they live... icon_twisted.gif

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 10:32pm
post #9 of 11

@ bobwonderbuns, u are too funny, lol

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 1:38am
post #10 of 11

Full cost replacement (equipment deposit). You will get it back.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 2:09am
post #11 of 11

I always used cake drums (one use, throw it away) and SPS, (also designed for one use, throw it away.) Nothing to get back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%