Newbie Cake Decorator! Tips/suggestions Needed!

Decorating By ashbobash Updated 18 Jan 2012 , 11:57pm by CreativeCakesbyMichelle

ashbobash Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 2:48am
post #1 of 9

I am making my daughter's birthday cake for this weekend.
I tried making the strawberry cake from scratch but it always ended up wrong. (all four times) I was wondering what I can do to make it as delicious as possible, I ended up buying a few boxes of strawberry cake mix but decided I can at least try to home make the frosting and filling.
-What would be some good fillings to make?
-What would be a good frosting?
-any techniques to decorating?
-How do I get my fondant to STOP being so sticky to the counter? (Iits not sticky until I roll it out and the center sticks to the counter, making me have to roll it up and restart..)

If this is the wrong section to post this PLEASE let me know..
Thank you so very much!

8 replies
msthang1224 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 4:59am
post #2 of 9

Hi,

Maybe you can do a white chocolate buttercream filling and frosting or maybe a whipped cream frosting.

What medium are you using when you roll out your fondant? powedered suagr, cornstarch or both (50/50)? maybe your not using enough underneath your fondant on the counter to keep it from sticking.

HTH

chocolatefudgecakefan Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 9

spread the worksurface with white far, like trex or flora white. This should stop it from sticking.

TexasSugar Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 9

My biggest suggestion would not to be to try all totally new/scratch things in one cake. That sets youup for problem after problem. I've been doing cakes for over 10 years now, and I still limit the amount of new things I do on a cake.

I would use the cake mix if you haven't found a good scratch recipe that works well for you.

For the strawberry cake for kids, I think a marshmallow filling would be good. You can google Marshmallow or Twinkie Filling. It is easy to make.

I use a basic buttercream, pretty much the Wilton Class Buttercream. IndyDebi's recipe is also a good one.

As far as the sticking fondant. You need to put something between your fondant and your counter. If you were rolling it on a mat I'd say crisco, then you can just pick the whole thing up, mat and all and lay it over the cake. If you are rolling on your counter top you need to use powder sugar, cornstarch or a mixture of the two (everyone has their opinions on which is the best to use) and you have to pick your fondant up and dust under it several times to make sure it isn't sticking. The center tends to stick the worse because you roll over it time and time again.

ashbobash Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 3:53am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by msthang1224

Hi,

Maybe you can do a white chocolate buttercream filling and frosting or maybe a whipped cream frosting.

What medium are you using when you roll out your fondant? powedered suagr, cornstarch or both (50/50)? maybe your not using enough underneath your fondant on the counter to keep it from sticking.

HTH

I use lots and lots of powdered sugar..I will try mixing it with cornstarch, thank you!

msthang1224 Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 6:31am
post #6 of 9

yr very welcome

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 9

Just stick with cake mix for now if that's what you're comfortable with.

For the fondant, you need to pick it up and dust underneath it every so often as you roll it out. I use cornstarch, no powdered sugar, and I use a basting brush to dust the cornstarch onto the fondant (if you use the kind with real bristles, watch out for stray bristles which will look like hairs in your cake, I use the silicone kind for that reason). You can flip the fondant over and dust it, then flip it back to the pretty side and keep rolling, or you can fold it halfway over your rolling pin and lift that half while you dust underneath it.

You can also roll it out on crisco. I don't like to do it that way anymore, but that was easier for me when I was first starting out.

Debbye27 Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 9

I use crisco-I have a vinyl mat and grease it with shortening- fondant doesn't stick, peels right off, and doesn't have the marks you get from the powder/starch.
I just tried the recipe on here last weekend-summer scratch strawberry cake- was fabulous
I think cream cheese goes nice with strawberry cake- but might not do well if you plan on leaving cake out- I made buttercream, but added some strawberry liquid (juice from my strawberries when I drained them)
What kind of cake do you plan on making? - as far as decorations.....

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 9

For my birthday cake last year I made a strawberry cake with this filling from the recipes section:
http://cakecentral.com/recipe/creamy-firm-strawberry-cream-cheese-filling-perfected
Everyone loved it and it was easy to make. I made a half batch of the recipe and it was more than enough to fill a double layer 13x9 cake.

Edited to add:
Oh and I used a cream cheese buttercream frosting. I was a really yummy combo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%