How Do I Know What Is Best To Use? Fondant, Gum Paste???

Decorating By taraedgington Updated 16 Jan 2012 , 10:22pm by carmijok

taraedgington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taraedgington Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 4

I'm new at the cake decorating thing, but eager to learn. When making figures for cakes, numbers for top tier on bday cakes, how do I decide what to use? When is the approiate use of fondant, gumpaste, and all the other stuff? I'm freaking out...lol. Oh, and what is the product that when applied looks like glitter?
Thanks SOOO much!
Tara

3 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 4

duplicate post

carmijok Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 4

I prefer gum paste--my personal preference is Wilton's pre-made gum paste-- when making things that need to dry quickly and hard. Bows, flowers, any kind of topper that needs to stand etc.

You can use fondant for all of those things, but fondant takes longer to dry and to me, you can't get fondant really thin without it breaking...that's what makes certain flowers look so delicate...the thin petal like qualities you can't get with fondant. Also, gum paste items can be a lot lighter than fondant items which is nice for things that need to be applied to the sides of cake...like cascading flowers.

The downside to gum paste is that you have to work fairly quickly with it or it will start to dry and crinkle when you shape it. Always keep it covered.

Some people mix tylose with fondant to get it to stiffen and harden faster, but I don't care for it. The fondant doesn't seem as pliable and items are heavier. But this is personal preference.

I sometimes mix gum paste with fondant if I want something to stay pliable a bit longer and when I have the time to dry things.

I use fondant for decor when I know it will be eaten, like polka dots, stripes, etc. Gum paste is edible but not so tasty!
HTH! icon_smile.gif

carmijok Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 4

Oh, and I think you're thinking of Disco Dust. It's very glittery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%