Event Canceled On The Day Of Delivery?

Business By rowingmom Updated 24 Jan 2012 , 2:39am by ValerieElizabeth

rowingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowingmom Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 5:27am
post #1 of 14

I was contracted to provide a four tier fondant cake with extensive decoration as well as sheet cake that was booked months in advance. The cake has been paid in full. Three hours before I was supposed to make delivery, the client called to inform me that they had canceled the event due to concerns over snowfall. I would not have had trouble delivering the cake, it was only light snow and I have a 4x4. She wants to reschedule for a month later but I had the cake ready for the time of delivery we had already agreed upon. It's not like I can save it for a month and maintain its quality. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? What did you do?

13 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 5:49am
post #2 of 14

Oh lordy. You were contracted and paid for the cake and you have provided it. At this point they only have 3 options:

1) they take the cake now and deal with freezing it until the new date

2) you help them out since you might have better storage space and freeze the cake for them until the new date

3) they take or refuse the cake now and either do or don't order a fresh cake at full price from you for the new date.

You do not owe her a stitch of refund in any case, the problem is hers. I hope you have a contract that backs you up on this, because it will make this conversation a lot easier.

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 14

I had that happen several years ago. The bride called me the day before the wedding to say her fiance was in the hospital and wedding cancelled. I had all the cakes filled and crumb coated. It was 8 - 8 inch table cakes with each one having different fresh fruit on top. This was in the beginning of July. I told her I could freeze the cakes, but she would have to pay for more fruit when they rescheduled. They ended up rescheduling for the end of August. The cakes were fine, but fruit wasn't as good and we had to use some frozen fruit.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 14

Well the cakes are paid for so I would give them the choice to take them and try and freeze them until a month away...or eat them...at any rate the cancellation is not your doing so I don't think you are obligated to supply another cake,sheet cakes in 1 months time for free just because they cancelled.I know the OP didn't say they asked for that but maybe they are thinking that..At any rate...you supplied a product..they cancelled.If they rebook they have to pay again.

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 14

Weather is not your fault. You came through with your end of the contract. They should have to order another cake when the time is right.

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 14

Agreed with everyone else. You have already spent your time and ingredients making the cake. If their were delivery/setup charges you can offer to refund that. But you did the work, you deserve to be paid! What they choose to do with the cake, or about getting another cake is up to them.

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 14

It's Not your problem, so I agree with everyone else,
let them take the cake and deal with it.
icon_smile.gif

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 14

Yes, of course, you are in no way liable for anything and you've been paid. But it's good customer relations to sympathize with their situation, tell them how awful it is, and suggest a way in which you can help. I do not suggest you offer any refund, but rather tell them you can give a percent off for the other cake (or whatever) you feel that you want to do.

cerps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerps Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 5:27am
post #9 of 14

No refund, you did all the work. You can offer to donate it too, we did this when a bride forgot to call us and tell us that their wedding was called off. We were never notified and the cake was complete so the bride was THANKFULLY understanding and we suggested we donate it and she was all for it.

I know my contract references snow but now I need to make sure it talks about them cancelling it due to weather.

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 2:32am
post #10 of 14

Simple. Deliver the cake now and let them decide what to do with this one. Then, while you are there delivering it, take a new contract with you and ask them if they want to go ahead and rebook for the new date with the same design, etc.now (while you are there ,in person) Of course, I would do it very nicely and make sure that they know that you empathize with their situation...

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 4:45pm
post #11 of 14

What does your contract say about canceling a cake?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 9:08pm
post #12 of 14

What ended up happening?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 11:50pm
post #13 of 14

What happened? I bet that it wasn't a pleasant conversation, but it was their fault for cancelling.

ValerieElizabeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValerieElizabeth Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 2:39am
post #14 of 14

You held your end of the deal. I would have delivered the cake or offered to freeze it until the next month.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%