Wedding Cake Serving Question?

Decorating By sarascakecreations Updated 16 Jan 2012 , 4:27am by sarascakecreations

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 2:27am
post #1 of 3

Hello,

not sure if this is in the right section but.....

last year I did my first 3 wedding cakes and they went well but I have some clients this year who want to go bigger. Last year I did 3-tier cakes and the dimensions were 16" square, 12" square, 8" square and they were each 3 layers of cake and 2 layers of filling in each... about 4" or so high for each tier I think... maybe more after buttercream and fondant etc.

With ALL of that said my online research tells me that not including the top tier the bottom 2 tiers (12 and 16) feed about 200 people roughly..

Now I have someone who wants a cake to feed 300 but still wants it to be 3 tier... what sizes should I make? Also... would it be easier to make it a 4 tier? IF SO what sizes should those be?

Thanks so much!

2 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 2:41am
post #2 of 3

Your research is correct. I use the Wilton chart.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Based on a piece that's 1"x2"x4", a 12" square tier will serve 72 and a 16" square tier will serve 128. However, if the bride wants a 3 tiered cake, and if she wants to keep the top tier, I wouldn't make the top any bigger than a 6". If that's the case, then I'd probably suggest a 6/10/14 which would provide 148 servings (not including the top. I would then include two 11x15 kitchen cakes to make up the remaining servings, as they will each serve 74. That's a total of 296 pieces.

Otherwise you'd probably looking at 6/8/10/12/16 including the top tier. I personally prefer 4" different between my tiers.

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 4:27am
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%