Question About Fondant Basketweave And Sugar Peonies

Decorating By designdiva22 Updated 16 Jan 2012 , 3:17am by fcakes

designdiva22 Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 9

I have 2 questions and would appreciate any help on these please!

I want to give a basketweave embossed effect on my fondant but don't have the embosser or the textured rolling pin right now. What can I use? I'm going for an effect like this:

I wanted to try my hand on sugar peonies but don't have the peony cutters. Can I use some other cutters as substitutes? Thanks so much!

8 replies
Goreti Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 9

Not sure what you can use for the fondant basket weave-perhaps a placemat that has some texture. I have purchase some at the dollar store to use on fondant. As far as the peonies, I'm in the same boat. Since I'm only doing this as a hobby, I don't want to buy a lot of expensive cutters. I have this from Martha Stewart that I am going to use as a template and cut them with an exacto knife.

Evoir Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 9

You could use large rose cutters, ball the ends very thin after snipping into the end of each petal with small scissors.

fcakes Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 1:23am
post #4 of 9

Omg! LOL! Don't know what happened to the image but here's another one!

fcakes Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 1:36am
post #5 of 9

I'll try looking for placemats... good idea! Thanks.

Thanks so much for the template... maybe I'll do that... Evoir, the rose cutter has 5 petals, not sure how to attach them to make a peony?

shanter Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 1:36am
post #6 of 9

What does the pic of the guy with the giant mustache have to do with basketweave or peony? I'm confused.

fcakes Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 1:39am
post #7 of 9

When I pasted the link, it was the basketweave embosser being used on fondant... when I came back now, I was surprised to see the image changed!

I checked the source website and the image has changed there too.. not sure why!

Evoir Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 1:55am
post #8 of 9

You can detach each petal from a 5-petal cutter once you cut out your gumpaste, and use it as a single petal.

You can also buy individual rose petal cutters in various sizes. I have 2 or three sets like this. But there is no reason you can use a 5-petal cutter. Just whatever you have on hand will do the same job icon_smile.gif

fcakes Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 3:17am
post #9 of 9

Thanks Evoir! Didn't think about detaching each of the 5 petals... I'll try that to see how it works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%