Trialled Recipe Disaster! White Chocolate And Raspberry Cake

Baking By joanneeland81 Updated 18 Jan 2012 , 5:49pm by monabeans

joanneeland81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanneeland81 Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 4

I am totally new to baking and have been looking for a really nice, light and moist white chocolate and raspberry cake. I couldn't find one I liked so I thought I would make one up and see how I got on. I wasn't expecting it to be perfect first time round given that its a science, but I'm not sure what to do differently now that I've done a trial run. Here were the issues;

1. The cake is super super moist - too much, it's almost squidgy. I couldn't even buttercream it after refridgerating for hours.
2. Taste wise, it's quite nice, although the white chocolate flavour is very subtle
3. The raspberries sunk to the bottom

Here is the trial recipe I used. I know its not in the same measuring system for the US bakers, but hopefully you can see the ratios I used.

Experienced cake makers out there might laugh at what I did, or didn't do, but I'd really appreciate your ideas on what I did wrong and how to make this cake both light and sturdy. Trialling recipes is tough!

300grams butter
350grams caster sugar
350grams all purpose flour
50grams cornstartch
150grams white chocolate, melted
250grams, sour cream
5 medium eggs
1 punnett raspberries
1tsp bicarb of soda
1tsp baking powder
vanilla
pinch of salt

I beat the sugar and butter till fluffy, added the eggs, sour cream, cooled white chocolate and vanilla and salt. Sifted in the flour, cornstartch, bicarb of soda and baking powder. Stir in raspberries. Bake at 350f/180c/gm mk 4 for 2 1/2 hours in a round tin.

3 replies
BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 4

you added a little over half of pound of raspberries, perhaps this was the issue, most people put in preserves in order not to get too much liquid. Hope other ccer's give you tips. whether raspberries, raisons or other fruit, they have to be rolled in flour so that they don't immediately sink to bottom during baking process.

joanneeland81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanneeland81 Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 9:18am
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the response. Yes that was a rookie mistake, I should have remembered to flour my fruit first! Thanks.

Although, the fruit itself didn't seem to cause the problem with the rest of the sponge. It really was so moist and rubbery. I wonder would adding another egg, some more flour and some extra baking powder give it a lift and steady the recipe?

Again, any of you experienced bakers, I'd love to know your thoughts......

Jo x

monabeans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monabeans Posted 18 Jan 2012 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 4

Invest in the book "The Cake Bible" by Rose Beranbaum. Wonderful recipes with the science behind them....then you can change quantities and so forth!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%