Who Sends Follow Up Emails?

Business By Delectability Updated 16 Jan 2012 , 3:41pm by Kiddiekakes

Delectability Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 8

Hey all,

Here's another question. Who sends followup emails/calls to customers post pickup/deliveries?

I'm undecided but it's like hope you were very satisfied with your order, 10% off the next one, spread the word to your family/friends and hope to service your next special event...etc.

Does anyone do this with their customers? It's more sales than bakery so didn't know if you guys have an opinion. Seems like great PR in a good situation and damage control in a bad situation but I didn't know who all takes this route.

Some owners might not be able to do so because of time constraints but I think it's a great idea. I just didn't know how many horror stories about it turning into a can of worms anyone has.

Thanks.

7 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 8

I e-mail a short request for feedback for every cake that I make.

Rae

Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 12:22am
post #3 of 8

I don't email at all..I figure if there is a problem they will certainly email...No News is Good news scenario....I frequently get Thank you emails though...I guess a small part of me doesn't want to give them a reason to make a complaint...although I certainly would want them to tell me if they are not satisfied.In 11 years I have only had about 2-3 complaints.

scp1127 Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 5:53am
post #4 of 8

I send thank you emails.

In reference to, "No news is good news", this is a huge misconception. I have seen it in every industry I represented in my marketing company. The truth is that those people who are dissatisfied tend to tell others, not you. People, in general, do not like confrontation. The thank you note gives them the opportunity to tell you if they were not satisfied rather than a multitude of acquaintances. If you are lucky enough to be able to correct the problem to their satisfaction, then you not only have retained your customer, but you will have a customer who will speak positively of your company and will refer business to you.

KoryAK Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 6:17am
post #5 of 8

scp is correct. I send a quick survey email after every wedding cake. Most of them I don't gear back on, and that falls under "no news is good news" for me. If they have a problem, it gives them a chance to vent and for me to make it right. If they are super happy, I get a blurb for my website.

mplaidgirl2 Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 6:31am
post #6 of 8

I usually send a follow up email. I also offer my customers $10 off their next cake for every reccomendation they give that brings an order over $100. Thier cake needs to also be over $100. This actually brings me the most business since I'm just a weekend baker.

Panel7124 Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 8:41am
post #7 of 8

I talk to them when they pick up the cake and ask for the feedback. Just a couple of minutes, there is nothing better than personal contact - the major part are willing to talk (in big bakeries nobody talks to them, just handle them a cake and that's all). I also ask if there is any special occasion in the near future and usually get other orders (people just don't think about cakes enough in advance). I noticed they are more willing to leave feedback after talking to them in person and they usually prefer to call instead of sending e-mails or text messages (which IMO is better as it's another occasion to ask things).

I asked clients who ordered more then twice if they would be interested in giving me a list of all their anniversaries, birthdays or other special occasions for family and friends in the current year, so I can contact them in time to know if they are willing to order. Some of them actually feel relieved - they don't have to think about it anymore. icon_smile.gif The best feedback is their next order or word of mouth. And: clients love to be pampered. icon_rolleyes.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 8

Everyone treats their business according to their clientelle.I live in a Big city of over 1 million people..Mostly very young professionals who have money and are very busy,The one thing I have learned is they don't want to be bothered after the fact and they certainly don't want you emailing them everytime an event comes up.It would be great if it worked but I have had angry emails stating..I'll call you if I want a cake so don't email"so asking for all their special dates etc would not work here..Do what works for you though...I don't follow up but I have a big enough clientelle for me that this way works and almost all customers return...I have in the past heard if they are unhappy and then I do what I can to rectify it...I also spend time at the door chatting etc and many have become great cake friends.No way is the wrong way..do what works for your business..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%