What Would You Do?

Business By CiNoRi Updated 22 Jan 2012 , 4:24am by jason_kraft

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 8:40pm
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I also have to add that if you're running a business you should have a business account with money in it to buy supplies, and you shouldn't have to wait to get deposits in order to have the money to buy supplies.

I agree that you shouldn't spend the money before the job is done and that you shouldn't need deposits to buy what you need, but I am NOT buying supplies for a job before I have the deposit for it. That's because I don't want to get stuck with stuff I don't need when the potential client changes their mind and cancels the order without having paid me a cent.

I'm sure that's probably not what was meant, but that's how it sounded to me when I first read it.

Regarding checks, we have no problem accepting them up to three weeks before the event date. If we know the person really well, we will take checks closer to the date than that.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 9:59pm
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeCake615

Quote:

I also have to add that if you're running a business you should have a business account with money in it to buy supplies, and you shouldn't have to wait to get deposits in order to have the money to buy supplies.

I agree that you shouldn't spend the money before the job is done and that you shouldn't need deposits to buy what you need, but I am NOT buying supplies for a job before I have the deposit for it. That's because I don't want to get stuck with stuff I don't need when the potential client changes their mind and cancels the order without having paid me a cent.

I'm sure that's probably not what was meant, but that's how it sounded to me when I first read it.

No, you're right, there's no reason to buy anything for someone who isn't a customer, and if they haven't put down a deposit they're not your customer. Maybe that's another topic for another blog post! icon_wink.gif

But when they DO become a customer, you should have money that you can use to buy equipment that would have been there regardless of whether they hired you or not, so taht their deposit can sit until the cake is delivered. Then when you lose both your arms in an unfortunate kitchenaid incident and have to give their deposits back you'll be able to. icon_rolleyes.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 3:52am
post #33 of 39
Quote:

No, you're right, there's no reason to buy anything for someone who isn't a customer, and if they haven't put down a deposit they're not your customer. Maybe that's another topic for another blog post! icon_wink.gif

But when they DO become a customer, you should have money that you can use to buy equipment that would have been there regardless of whether they hired you or not, so taht their deposit can sit until the cake is delivered. Then when you lose both your arms in an unfortunate kitchenaid incident and have to give their deposits back you'll be able to. icon_rolleyes.gif

Gotcha. I totally agree. thumbs_up.gif

And I'm never touching a KA again. icon_biggrin.gif

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 1:37am
post #34 of 39

I'm from Canada and, wondering if you guys have E-mail Money Transfers in the US? It originally started as an easy way to transfer money from one person to another but, is now becoming common to see merchants excepting it. I use it for both business and personal and, as the receiver of the funds, there is no fee to you...the fee is paid by the sender and, is somewhere around $1 - $1.50 per transaction. On the senders end, the transaction initiates from their online banking screen and, as the receiver, you get an e-mail advising of the transfer and, a link.. when you click the link, you come to a screen where you select your bank, and then simply log in to your online banking to deposit the funds immediately.

costumeczar Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 2:32am
post #35 of 39

I've never heard of the email transfers...I think I'd be nervous clicking on links in an email that said someone was sending me money! Hello, Nigerian prince.......

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 2:44am
post #36 of 39

As long as at least one party has a Chase account, you can use QuickPay, and it's free.

https://www.chase.com/online/services/quickpay.htm

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 3:06am
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSuzieQ

I'm from Canada and, wondering if you guys have E-mail Money Transfers in the US? It originally started as an easy way to transfer money from one person to another but, is now becoming common to see merchants excepting it. I use it for both business and personal and, as the receiver of the funds, there is no fee to you...the fee is paid by the sender and, is somewhere around $1 - $1.50 per transaction. On the senders end, the transaction initiates from their online banking screen and, as the receiver, you get an e-mail advising of the transfer and, a link.. when you click the link, you come to a screen where you select your bank, and then simply log in to your online banking to deposit the funds immediately.

I love email money transfers! It's safe, secure, and quick!

costumeczar Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 4:17am
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

As long as at least one party has a Chase account, you can use QuickPay, and it's free.

Can you use that if you have a chase credit card, or is it just for bank accounts?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 4:24am
post #39 of 39
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Can you use that if you have a chase credit card, or is it just for bank accounts?

You (or the recipient) needs to have a Chase bank account, I believe QuickPay is an ACH transfer so it wouldn't work with credit cards.

If by some chance it can draw funds from a credit card account, you can bet that it will be treated as a cash advance with all the associated fees.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%