Handcrafted Cake Toppers (Photo Included)

Business By Carlys-Creations Updated 17 Jan 2012 , 10:01am by docofthedead

Carlys-Creations Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 4

Hello all icon_smile.gif

I am currently in the process of setting up a business from home.

I wanted to make a thread for opinions i may need, help on pricing, problems i encure etc.

Best wishes to you all xx[/img]

3 replies
ApplegumPam Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 4

The price you need to charge should be the amount of money you need to make it an attractive proposition to you.

It doesn't matter what anybody on here says they would pay for them - that is irrelevant as the large percentage of members are US based. Things are so much cheaper over there!! Your target market will be non-cakers who are looking for something better than a plastic toy - PLUS cakers that either can't make these OR busy cakers trying to outsource time consuming portions of their business.

Work out how long the particular piece costs you - and then add on an amount of money that would make it worthwhile to continue making them - list them for that price and see how many you sell.

Good luck ... they look good by the way!

PS> ONE problem I have encountered making toppers is the shipping/post ... doesn't seem to matter how well you pack them - things get broken in the post - post is expensive for 1 or 2 items (often twice the cost of the toppers) so you may find your market is reduced to local,

Carlys-Creations Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks very much for your reply, i really appreciate it icon_smile.gif

Your right with the postage. Things will get broken unfortunately, but i have a good little set up which i hope will reduce damages to a minimum. Im currently 'test posting' to family 300 miles away. Im hoping for 5 out of 5 perfect packages so we will see.

How did you package if you dont mind me asking? The more tips the better icon_smile.gif

I will charge what they cost to make, plus what i value my time and skill is worth. I guess if i dont get the custom, then so be it, i cant sell for a steal otherwise theres no point right?

Im really excited about it and cant wait to start! icon_biggrin.gif

docofthedead Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 10:01am
post #4 of 4

icon_cry.gif
I was hoping to see these, but I can't see them!! If you have a min could you PM them to me??
thanks! icon_smile.gif
~Kelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%