Candy Themed Cake

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 13 Jan 2012 , 9:13pm by annakat444

annakat444 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 5

I'm doing a candy-themed cake for a 2 year old's birthday party this weekend. I'm making it similar to this cake, except 2-tiered: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2083828/candyland-cake - just wondering how to stick the lollipop in the cake without it falling over? I was thinking about getting a straw and sticking the lolly in it and "cementing" it to the straw with royal icing?

2nd question - if i'm copying that cake, but only doing 2 tiers, which 2 tiers from that picture would you do? I was thinking the bottom layer be either polka dots or stripe (not sure which) and the 2nd tier be a solid sky blue with "Happy Birthday Ethan" written in rainbow colors. And on the lollipop sticking out of the top, pipe a big "2" on it. Cute? I'm a visual person, so I can't tell if it's cute until it's done (I hope I get better at that!)

Also, I'm not doing it for this cake, but just wondering for future reference - I've seen a lot of pictures of other candy-themed cakes with lollipops sticking out of the cake in all directions. How would you put those in the cake so they don't fall over?? These lollipops are really heavy!!!

Sorry for writing a novel and thanks in advance for the help!

4 replies
jgifford Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 5

You should be fine with a regular lollipop stick for the one on top. Just make sure it goes up in the lollipop a couple of inches. If you're still concerned about it falling over, the straw sounds like a good idea.

If you're going with 2 tiers, I'd do the polka dots and solid, simply because polka dots are so much easier than stripes - - and you kind of have the stripes in the lollipop. Sounds like it's going to be really cute! Be sure to post pictures. thumbs_up.gif

theresaf Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 5

I would do a solid tier with the polka dots too, I agree! I do like the straw idea to 'anchor' the lollipop. If I was doing that cake in the future with multiple lollipops, I would use the smaller ones. Besides staying in the cake better, if you don't have as many lollipops as kids for other parties, there's gonna be trouble! So that way, it's good for the client too! Good luck!

annakat444 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

If you're going with 2 tiers, I'd do the polka dots and solid, simply because polka dots are so much easier than stripes - - and you kind of have the stripes in the lollipop.

Ah! I didn't even consider that! Great point - thank you! I love this forum!!! icon_biggrin.gif

annakat444 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresaf

If I was doing that cake in the future with multiple lollipops, I would use the smaller ones.

I definitely agree - I looked all over town for the smaller ones, but no one in town had them in stock, only the big ones. The original plan was to put the small ones all over the cake, but since I could only find the big ones this wouldn't work since the cake would have to be much bigger than we need - hence the reason I'm only doing the one on the top of the cake. Thanks for your help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%