Nicholas Lodge's Gumpaste Too Stretchy

Baking By dzh115 Updated 16 Jan 2012 , 6:45pm by metria

dzh115 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dzh115 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 3

I have followed the gumpaste recipe from Nicholas Lodge exactly several times and every time it seems too stretchy. Instead of being able to thin out the petals, the gumpaste stretches and brakes. I really do not know how to fix it. I have tried adding powdered sugar and nothing. Does this happens to anyone else or is it supposed to be like that?

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 3

Knead in a tiny bit of shortening before you use the paste. Dust your work surface with cornstarch. Keep petals covered until you're ready to use them, if you cut out several ahead of time. Dust your petal pad lightly with cornstarch and dip your ball tool into it before you thin the petals.

Have you checked to make sure your ball tool doesn't have a slightly rough seam on it, ripping the petals as you thin them?

The only other thing I can think of that might be causing your issue is if you're using the whites from xl eggs instead of large in the recipe.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 3

piggy-backing on this because I just made his recipe for the first time last night ... I used AllWhites pasteurized liquid egg whites. Does anyone else do this? Or used the powdered or meringue powder? Is there a difference between those and using fresh egg whites?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%