Edible Flexible "net" "webbing" With Onl

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 17 Jan 2012 , 3:50pm by TexasSugar

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 7

All I have on hand right now are: Gum Tex, Isomalt, white chocolate/candy coating, and gelatin (plus regular ingredients like sugar, corn syrup, etc.)

Can anyone suggest what I can do to make an edible netting/webbing for a cake due this evening?? It's my daughter's friend, and it was a little last minute, so I'm strapped icon_smile.gif I want to have a cotton candy type effect, but I'm afraid to try the homemade cotton candy route!

Any suggestions!?

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/gummy-spider-webs-with-marshmallows

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. I haven't used it, but have read it is flexiable like sugarveil.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 7

You'd be surprised how easy it is to make spun sugar. Here are my instructions (they were part of a cigar smoke demo):

Spun Sugar (Angel Hair)

2-2/12 cups granulated sugar
Scant ½ cup water
Scant 2/3 cup corn syrup

Place the sugar, water and corn syrup in a heavy-bottom saucepan over medium-high heat. Insert a candy thermometer and cook until it reaches 311°F (155°C) or hard crack stage. Remove from heat and pour into a heatproof glass bowl to stop the cooking. Add color now, if desired. Place bowl at your work surface.

Once the bubbles have subsided, hold a wooden dowel horizontally in front of you, about a foot above a work surface covered with a large silicone mat or a sheet of parchment. With your other hand, dip a fork into the hot sugar, hold it above the bowl until the sugar flows in an even stream, then rapidly wave the fork back and forth about 6 inches above the dowel. As the sugar falls freely from the fork, it will stretch into thin strands. When the dowel is completely covered, gently remove the angel hair and set aside. Repeat until you have used all of the sugar or have made the desired amount. Use immediately.

Avoid making this on days with high humidity as the sugar may melt or never set up properly. On a dry day, the sugar should hold its shape for a few hours.

For cigar smoke, gently curl tops of angel hair bunches. Insert lollipop sticks into cake. Thread angel hair bunches over sticks.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the spun sugar recipe.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 1:59am
post #6 of 7

D'OH!!! Thank you all for these ideas and recipes! TexasSugar, yes, I ended up finding and using that Gummy Web recipe and here's how it turned out:

(I actually messed up the recipe, and it still worked, so who knows how it's actually supposed to turn out!)

I would have loved to try the spun sugar, DianeLM, thank you! I may try this anyway, just for the experience and the know-how for next time! I'm bummed I didn't post this earlier in the week (the client gave me two days notice anyway).

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 7

Glad the recipe worked out for ya. It is on my list of things to try. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%