Stacking/mailing Cookies With A Buttercream Icing?

Baking By JaeRodriguez Updated 14 Jan 2012 , 12:45pm by JaeRodriguez

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 4

I wanted to mail my friend some cookies but instead of royal/glaze I was thinking about doing this recipe:

http://kariscooking.blogspot.com/2011/02/world-famous-paradise-bakery-sugar.html

Do any of you know if this kind of icing dries enough to be stacked? I am just going to spread the icing on, no fancy decorating.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

3 replies
writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 4

I don't know about your recipe but here's one that does dry hard.

Meringue Powder Buttercream from Karenscookies.net

1/3 cup water
3 T. meringue powder
½ cup shortening
4 ½ cups powdered sugar (1 lb. 3 oz. If you have a scale)
1 tsp. vanilla extract (use clear vanilla if you want a pure white icing)
¼ tsp. almond extract

Place half of the powdered sugar and the meringue powder in the bowl of an electric mixer. Whisk together well. Turn on mixer (use whip attachment) and, while motor is running, slowly stream in the water. Mix until everything is incorporated. Turn mixer to high speed and whip until stiff peaks form. Add flavorings and mix well. Change to paddle attachment (for stand mixer) or dough hook (for Bosch). If using a hand mixer, use the same beaters you were using before. Add remaining powdered sugar and shortening and whip for 2-3 minutes more.

Note: Don't skimp on the whipping time after adding the shortening. You really need to whip it well to prevent separation later.

kariscooking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kariscooking Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeRodriguez

I wanted to mail my friend some cookies but instead of royal/glaze I was thinking about doing this recipe:

http://kariscooking.blogspot.com/2011/02/world-famous-paradise-bakery-sugar.html

Do any of you know if this kind of icing dries enough to be stacked? I am just going to spread the icing on, no fancy decorating.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Jae,

Stumbled upon your request and I wanted to let you know that when I make these, to set the icing I either let them air dry for at least an hour uncovered or better yet I stick them in the fridge. If you are going to ship them I would suggest putting a piece of parchment paper between them and I think you will be fine. Once they are set I stack them in a cake stand and they dont stick together. I would caution against fancy decorations however. Stacking will press them down with enough weight.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you Kari! I made the dough last night and I am going to bake and ice this am. I will let you know how they turn out! icon_smile.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%