Circut Cake

Decorating By prettycupcake Updated 7 Jan 2013 , 1:53pm by cazza1

prettycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycupcake Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 22

I received a Circut cake for Christmas this year, I was struggling with having it cut my gumpaste, fondant or even the Wilton sugar sheets. I found a video somewhere online that suggested to use the Wilton fondant. I just wanted to post that it works!! For all who are struggling with getting the machine to work, try Wilton fondant...works like a charm.

21 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 22

I'll add that Fondx and Fondarific cut well also. Anything I cut in the Cricut automatically gets a 5 minute vacation in the freezer before I cut it. It makes a WORLD of difference! The cuts are much cleaner!!

prettycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycupcake Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

I'll add that Fondx and Fondarific cut well also. Anything I cut in the automatically gets a 5 minute vacation in the freezer before I cut it. It makes a WORLD of difference! The cuts are much cleaner!!

Great! I'm going to try that also...

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 22

Did you know that premium designing sheets are the thicker icing sheets are available in a full color range? These are great for the quicker cuts. You can also use gum paste and Chocopan.

JackydeKlerk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackydeKlerk Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 22

I just received my Cricut Cake and love it to bits. Yes, I struggled in the beginning cutting the Fondant, but figured it out quickly.

Besides putting it in the freezer for a while, you can also add some CMC powder. The only problem with that is that you have to plan your designs well in advance, once you've added the powder it becomes hard, very hard, depending on the amount you've used.

Jacky

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 22

I used mine for the first time on Friday and noticed that if I let the fondant sit out for a bit the cut was cleaner. I really like the idea of putting it in the freezer for 5 minutes. I'm going to try that idea next time. This is why I love this site. You learn something new every day.

B7jac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
B7jac Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 22

I must say I have been quite dissapointed with my Cricut, finding it very frustrating finding the right stuff to cut! I havent tried Wilton sheets as i read that they tasted disscusting! arent they expensive too? I tried my own fondant with added CMC but this took all my strength to roll out!! I always freeze the sheet 1st which does help and I get there in the end, but will never attempt a fine delicate design (which are on the cartridges!) All in all i find it so much bother that i hardly ever use it now! I think it was a waste of the very high price!
But maybe will try the Wilton sheets at least once!

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 22

I always use Satin Ice with my Cricut Cake and works fine. But with dark colors like black I let the sheet sit for half an hr or so to dry it up a bit.
For those of you who put it in the freezer, don't you have any condensation problems afterwards?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 9:46pm
post #9 of 22

B7jac: it sounds like you added too much CMC. If it's hard to roll out, microwave it for a few seconds to soften it.

Cupcations: yes, it condensates. How much depends on the weather at the time. I leave mine in the freezer until I'm ready to load and cut.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 22

Re: hard to roll out. I use the Silhouette and the special gumpaste recipe that came with it. You roll it out using a pasta machine. A lot easier and more precise.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 10:38pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

Did you know that premium designing sheets are the thicker icing sheets are available in a full color range? These are great for the quicker cuts. You can also use gum paste and Chocopan.

wish we got such fab thing in the UK for the Cricut icon_sad.gif

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 10:53pm
post #12 of 22

We do ship everywhere...but the sheets are heavy!

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 11:22pm
post #13 of 22

I always use MMF with my Cricut Cake. I roll it out and let it set for 5-10 minutes. Works like a charm every time.

JackydeKlerk Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 9:07am
post #14 of 22

B7jac,

If you add CMC, add a little at a time. I promise you, it works even with the more delicate cuts. Also make sure that your blade is perfectly clean.

Another trick is to take the blade out and put some holsum fat on it. I also use the holsum fat on my cricut mat. It works just fine.

lauriekailee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauriekailee Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 10:20am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackydeKlerk

B7jac,

If you add CMC, add a little at a time. I promise you, it works even with the more delicate cuts. Also make sure that your blade is perfectly clean.

Another trick is to take the blade out and put some holsum fat on it. I also use the holsum fat on my mat. It works just fine.

what is holsum fat?

JackydeKlerk Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 10:31am
post #16 of 22

Holsum fat is almost like butter, but it is white and tasteless.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 2:11pm
post #17 of 22

icingimages premium frosting sheets cut much nicer then wilton, taste better and are less expensive. The come in colors or you can print designs on the white ones with an EI printer. That's all I use with my silhouette and get perfect cuts every time.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 7:59pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

We do ship everywhere...but the sheets are heavy!

icon_sad.gif possibly heavy shipping fee then icon_cry.gif

B7jac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
B7jac Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 10:17am
post #19 of 22

I will try the premium frosting sheets, does anyone know if they are available in the UK? (ok I can look on the website!)

And 'greasing' the blade sounds like a great idea, will definately try that! It is such a shame that i dont get more out of the Cricut as it does have some lovely designs. I must persevere!!

allaboutcakeuk Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 4:17pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

icingimages premium frosting sheets cut much nicer then wilton, taste better and are less expensive. The come in colors or you can print designs on the white ones with an EI printer. That's all I use with my silhouette and get perfect cuts every time.

I hve edible icing sheets that are white, i like the idea of printing on them. do you have to take it off the backing sheet and put on the cricut mat or do you leave it on it's backing sheet and put on a sticky mat for the cricut? thank you

JackydeKlerk Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 1:38pm
post #21 of 22

I also have a Cricut Cake and I use Fondant that is rolled out thinly with a pasta machine. It works perfectly, except for very detailed cuts.

If you want to cut something that are detailed you will need to ad some tylose powder to make it more hard.

It cuts rice paper perfectly!

www.koek-krummels.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/koek.krummels

Happy baking

Jacky

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 1:53pm
post #22 of 22

Linda McClure, who originally worked out how to use a cricut for cake decorating, has a gumpaste recipe posted on line which works really well.  She rolls it out with a pasta machine, which I also do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%