How To Emboss Fondant

Decorating By Pattycakes80 Updated 13 Jan 2012 , 3:18pm by DianeLM

Pattycakes80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pattycakes80 Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 6

Hi allicon_smile.gif
I have a cake order next week for a three tier wedding cake with a cobblestone embossed print on it. I received the mat in the post yesterday and to my dissapointment there was no directions included.

Just hoping to get some tips and advice on how I go about using the mat and the easiest ways of making it work the best. It is for a wedding so it has to look good.

Thanksicon_smile.gif

5 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 6

Fondant - roll it out almost to the thickness you need then place the cobblestone mat over it. Then use your rolling pin to roll over the cobblestone mat to emboss the fondant.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 6

Fondant - roll it out almost to the thickness you need then place the cobblestone mat over it. Then use your rolling pin to roll over the cobblestone mat to emboss the fondant.

you may need to make it a lily thicker then usual your first try to get the hang of it.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 6

Adding to myslady's advice...

You may want to put a light dusting of cornstarch or powdered sugar on the fondant to keep the mat from sticking.

Be careful not to roll all the way to the edge of the mat to prevent embossing a long line. If you don't have a tiny rolling pin, you may be better off pressing on the mat with your fingers instead.

If you're going to emboss off the cake, be aware that the pattern may stretch if you apply one big piece of fondant to the cake. When working with embossed fondant, I prefer to apply the top and sides separately to prevent stretching.

You can emboss the fondant after it's on the cake if you give the cake a good freeze before applying the fondant. You don't want to freeze it all the way through - just 30-40 minutes to freeze the outside of the cake only. You'll have to work fairly fast in order to finish the embossing before condensation makes the outside of the cake sticky. If you're not in a really humid area, you should have plenty of work time.

I suggest practicing different techniques on a cake dummy.

Pattycakes80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pattycakes80 Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks so muchicon_smile.gif

I have a 6", 9" and 12" cake so it is a big area to cover and I am a bit worried about warping the design trying to lift a massive piece onto the cake.

Diane - The cake is in the freezer now so could I get it out of the freezer and cover with Buttercream dirty ice and back in the fridge for an hour to set the BC then bring it out and cover as you suggest?? Will that work the same way??

Thanks

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 6

Sorry I didn't see your post last night.

If you haven't done the embossing yet, refrigerating won't work as well as freezing. Refrigerated BC will get soft within minutes while frozen BC will stay firm a lot longer.

Plus, if your cake is frozen to begin with, icing then refrigerating will most likely cause a lot of condensation, making it almost impossible to work with.

If anything, I'd take the cake out of the freezer, ice, then back in the freezer to firm up the icing.

Sorry if I'm too late. Please let me know how it goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%