Elevated Truck Cake Without Dowels?

Decorating By bakerfairy Updated 29 Jan 2012 , 3:09am by cook4kids

bakerfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerfairy Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 9

I am doing a fire truck cake and want to make it raised so it appears like it's resting on the wheels. I would like to know if it's possible to elevate the cake by just placing foam core board between the cake base and the board the cake will actually sit on? In my forum search it seems that many suggest including dowels behind each wheel that are directly screwed into the cake base. Is this necessary? Would it be sturdy enough with just the foam core board? Also, what should I used to attach the foam core boards to the cake base as well as the cake board the cake will be sitting on? The cake base will be covered in fondant. Thanks in advance!

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 9

I think the reason they use dowels is to make an empty space underneath the truck. As long as you don't want the empty space, foamcore should be fine. Just glue the pieces together. You may want to cut the boards to leave room for the wheels.

I usually don't use anything to attach the board my cake is on to the fondant-covered base. If the cake is tall or you're transporting it somewhere, then a couple dowels hammered through the cake into the cake base should hold it well enough.

bakerfairy Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 9

I like the idea of having a space beneath the cake, however, I was hoping to achieve the illusion of this by cutting the foam core small enough so that it can't be seen when looking at the cake directly.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 9

Just be careful when you go to transport! I did the same thing once (trimmed the foam under the cake) but it wasn't as stable as I thought. It tipped over in transport, luckily no damage and it was for a friend, but a good learning point just the same!

FaithfullyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaithfullyCakes Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 9

For this kind of stuff I use foamcore... probably 3 or 4 sheets of 3/16th stacked up ... hot glued together and hot-glued to the main cake board on the bottom, AND hot glue the board the actual cake is sitting on to the stack of foamcore when I am ready to place the cake on.
I cut the stack of foamcore about an inch or so smaller on all sides than the cake is on... there isn't empty space, but does have some dimenstion then since it's not flush with the cake/wheels.
When the cake is ready I put dowels through the cake, and throgh the stack of foamcore until it goes into the very bottom board.

Hope that made sense! thumbs_up.gif

bakerfairy Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you thank you! I will be sure to transport carefully! And hot glue sounds like it will hold better than icing or white craft glue. I'm definitely going to try this. thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 9

I actually quit using hot glue because it leaves spaces between the foam boards and wasn't as stable as tacky glue.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 1:31am
post #8 of 9

Faithfullycakes has it right. I also wrap the foam core (I actually use styorofoam) in black ribbon so it is far less noticeable. I have also done cakes where there are two, much smaller pieces supporting the cake set where the wheel axles would be. Same setup, just make sure you have a plenty sturdy enough board under the cake itself.

This cake was done this way:

http://www.spdak.com/web%20galleries/special%20occasion/wgc_media/source/Skateboard%201.JPG

cook4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cook4kids Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 3:09am
post #9 of 9

I am so happy i found this post. I am going to make a dump truck cake for someone and wanted the truck to look like it wasnt sitting on the wheels. I thought about the foam axles wrapped in something. thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%