Questions About Edible Jewels Please. . . .

Decorating By Zamode Updated 30 Jan 2012 , 6:37pm by aundrea

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 2:01am
post #1 of 6

How do you cleanly get the isomalt/sugar into the molds? The woman who sold them to me said you can just pour it in and scrape away the excess, which didn't sound good to me, and it wasn't--sticky and messy and left funky edges once the jewels popped out of the mold. Also the mold got a little warped from the heat of the isomalt so it isn't lying completely flat now, either. Second batch I tried just pouring out of the pot and that was better but not by much.

Is there something to apply to them to get the shine back on them once applied? Handling them left them slightly dull looking.

I made two crowns for a cake and I used disco dust for the one, tried scraping away some of the dust before I applied the jewels. For the backup crown, I want to try a different design; is there a way to apply the dust still if I put the jewels on first? I don't want to dry dust the disco dust but am concerned that doing the whole crown in vodka and dust will soften the gumpaste.

icon_confused.gif

Thanks!

5 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,

I'm sorry I can't really answer yr question about getting clean edges from the pouring of the isomaly because I haven't made my own jewels. But, here's a suggestion, I guess, maybe you can try and use a medium that can withstand lots of heat like a thick pyrex glass measuring cup? But be very careful. It might help with the amount of isomalt that comes out at one time.

What I do with my edible jewels for clarity is I spray vegetable ol or brush it onto the jewels right before I add them to my cake.it helps with the cloudy look for awhile. Now it won't last all day but it will last enough for yr creation to be viewed by yr customer and their guests icon_smile.gif

As for the disco dust & vodka. I use this method all the time on my gumpaste and it doesn't harm it one bit. Vodka dries super quick so it is the perfect medium to use. I would do the disco dust BEFORE adding my jewels bc its going to be very time consuming to do the other way unless yr up for it, then go for it by covering the jewels with something and then applying the disco dust. But, if u do it the last way, DON'T spray or brush yr veggie ol on first, leave that for last and then I would brush it on instead of spray in fear of messing up the disco dust by spraying veggie oil on it.

HTH

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 12:10am
post #3 of 6

HI, i just took a class at swankcakedesign , He poured the cooked sugar into a silicone cupcake holder. Anything(silicone) small is a great idea to use. You just wear vinyl gloves and cotton gloves for protection and pour gently.Sorta pinch the ends inward to make a spout) If he was using a mold that had tine openings for the gems, he would start on the edge of the mold and let it drip until it was coming out like he wanted it to. Then just go across the holes of the mold and pour. It was great.hth

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 12:20am
post #4 of 6

COOL, icer101!!

I'm about to take a class with W.S too, next week and I can't wait icon_smile.gif

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the replies! Didn't get an email notice so I am just noticing this now but I will be using the molds again in a month, thanks very much! thumbs_up.gif

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 6:37pm
post #6 of 6

when i bought my molds and isomalt they were also selling a silcone 'boat' thing that is used to pour the isomalt.
i havent had time yet to try my isomalt/molds. so i cant give anymore info on how they work.
but maybe you can look online for the silicone boat. whats nice about it - it has a spout and looks easy to handle melted sugar.
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%