How Do I Achieve This?

Decorating By Debbye27 Updated 11 Jan 2012 , 6:26pm by Debbye27

Debbye27 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 9

I am making pull apart cupcakes tonight- in a very similiar design to this cake I found on here.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1429039/batman-cake

I am using a vanilla buttercream to top cupcakes and then form them all together, but want to frost top to look like this picture.

I am using blue and gray for the colors, but I don't think I can get the buttercream as smooth and even as I could if I flooded it with royal icing. My question is- I've never actually flooded with royal- I've watched videos and know I can, but not sure how it will dry- if it would be too hard for pull apart cupcakes.??

Has anyone ever flooded big spaces like this? If it won't be the best option, then how can I get a super smooth surface?

8 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 9

Personally I wouldn't bother with royal icing for pull apart cupcakes. I would use buttercream (which gets darker as time goes on so bear that in mind), and use a small piece of acetate to smooth is out. Then you can go over it with a hot knife if you are really concerned about it. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

inspiredbymom Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 9

Looking at the cake, the batman logo seems to be done in fondant. That can be cut or taken off the cake. However, on my cupcake cakes, I just use a FBCT. I have a scooby doo one in my pics done in this method. As far as the stripes go, I would just use butter cream and smooth. I use a hot spatula and the viva method. You could also smooth it with acetate, parchment, wax paper.....something smooth and food safe.

Debbye27 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 9

What is acetate? And if I went with buttercream, what is the best way to put it on? I want everything to look flush and smooth - and with a hot knife - haven't seen that trick- but I am presuming you refridgerate the buttercream cupcakes, then use a hot knife to run over top to shave it down? Is that right?

Debbye27 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 9

I like the appearance of your scooby- what is fbct? it's very smooth, was it a transfer?

jgifford Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 5:16pm
post #6 of 9

Acetate is plastic, such as a bendable scraper. FBCT is frozen buttercream transfer. Some people use a spatula dipped in hot water (wipe off the excess water) or heated over a blow torch for smoothing. It softens the surface of the bc and smooths it out - like a hot knife through butter. icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 9

The hot knife trick to smoothing is when you take a spatula, I like the smaller offset spatulas, and dip it in boiling water. Pull out, wipe off with a paper towel and run the hot knife over the buttercream LIGHTLY and the heat from the knife "melts" the buttercream into a smooth glaze-like texture.

inspiredbymom Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbye27

I like the appearance of your scooby- what is fbct? it's very smooth, was it a transfer?

yes it was. I actually do my transfers on acetate on plexiglass. However, I have seen it done with wax paper. My top is just butter cream applied in a circle fashion around the cake and smoothed with a hot spatula and then smoothed with viva and paper. Then I add the fbct. Now, not all people do this, but after the transfer has crusted (I usually wait about an hour for all condensation to be gone) I go over it with viva as well.

The collar and tag are actually fondant. Once that was done, I piped the edging and put fondant dots around it for color. On your cake, you can use the same technique for the lines as well. Put your buttercream on the cake in lines using a bag and a bigger round tip like a 12? You could even use just the plain coupler for more icing. That is how I apply it. HTH!

Debbye27 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 9

Definitely helps!! Thanks, I will try piping it onto there, then use the hot knife technique...and pipe black lines afterwards...

Thanks Guys!! Can't wait to try this tonight!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%