Cupcake Cakes

Baking By coffeegirlCK Updated 12 Jan 2012 , 4:22pm by Kiddiekakes

coffeegirlCK Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 8

Hi! I am making a basketball cupcake cake for a friend's grandson. She wants 30 cupcakes and I am taking it to the party site for her which is about 25 min. from my house. How much would be fair to charge her? Is $30 too much or too little?

Also, if I cannot find the terra cotta food coloring, what food colors work best to get that same color? What do you use to make the dimples of the basketball when using buttercream???

Thanks for any and all tips/ advice!!!

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 8

I charge $60.00 for a 30 pce cupcake..which is essentially $2.00 for each..Still quite low...You can use orange with a touch of brown to get the Terra cotta color as well.If you are using a crusting BC then the end of anything small will make an indent.

inspiredbymom Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 8

I have charge $25 for cupcake cakes for that amount. Buyer: wow, that's expensive
Other bakers: wow, that's too cheap!
Me: ugh.....icon_smile.gif

As far as the texture goes, I have used clean close weave tulle. It is easy to position and move around and it is faster than doing each "dimple" one at a time. HTH!

I need to spend some time with the pricing matrix!!!!

Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 8

Inspired..I've even thought about raising my prices...My cupcake cakes are my buggest seller and no one has ever balked at the price.No Different that 30 cupcake iced seprately..and many companies charge upward of $3.00 each and higher.

inspiredbymom Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 8

Wow! I need to move......Canada is a bit cold for me but I was talking to a friend up there last week and he said that it is warmer there than it was here! Great job!

Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 8

Yeah we have had un seasonably warm weather this winter but it just got colder today..From one extreme to the other it is -20 here today which is..-4 there..Very cold...LOL

inspiredbymom Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 8

Ok Kiddiekakes, thanks for sending the cold here last night but I could have really done without......Yesterday it was in the 50's, now it is 21, windy and snow on the ground...yuck. Take it back PLEASE

Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Jan 2012 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 8

You're Welcome..LOL..Now we are Chinooking...definition...warm air cross over the pacific and over the mountains and brings warm temps and air...reaks havoc on the head from the barometric pressure change....

Quote by @%username% on %date%