Service Dogs??

Business By RnZmom Updated 4 May 2013 , 3:16am by MRSwanSong

RnZmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RnZmom Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 3:39am
post #1 of 10

This is probably not a topic every discussed here but I am at my wits end and don't know what to do!

I have a "helper" (she is not a paid employee) who has been wonderful the past 4 months in helping me get my bakery open and off to a good start. She has been diabetic for 35+ years. She is also a good friend and a very good decorator. Bascially, I depend on her alot and since I do not pay her anything, I am very grateful for all that she does.

Problem: Today she acquired a diabetic alert dog (big lab) that she is helping to train. She has not been "prescribed" this dog, nor does she necessarily want the dog, but she agreed some time ago to volunteer as a trainer and now the dog has arrived.

I do not want this dog in my brand new bakery. I respect service dogs and have no problem with serving customers who come in with service dogs, but do I have to tolerate a volunteer in my business with a service dog? I cannot find a reference anywhere to this, and other than the Health Department don't know who to ask. I don't want to jeopardize my friendship with this lady, but I just cannot make myself OK with having a dog in my kitchen where I am baking cakes for the public. This just grosses me out!

Please offer any and all advice as to what I should do and please tell me what YOU would do if you were in my situation. Thanks!!!

9 replies
xoxoemilyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xoxoemilyrae Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:09am
post #2 of 10

I'm not exactly sure where you are, but in my state a dog in your kitchen is a HUGE health code violation. Home bakers can't even get licensed if they have pets unless they have a completely seperate addition to the house.

Just simply tell her, "*Name,* I really appreciate all you've done for me in helping me start my business. But I could lose my business if you bring that dog in here. I'm sorry, but I'm not willing to risk it."

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:12am
post #3 of 10

in a previous job at a zoo, there were places where service dogs were prohibited, so i can imagine that there would be restrictions in place for working in a kitchen with a service animal. I jsut did a quick search and found this wiki answers link:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_take_a_service_dog_in_a_restaurant

it basically says that a service animal who is performing a service for their handler (as opposed to being off duty with another caretaker) is allowed in any public restaurant space where special clothing is not required. But since in a kitchen where food is prepared requires hairnets, aprons, and gloves a SA would not be permitted.

You can simply tell her that her dog is not permitted in the kitchen due to health code, and having a dog unattended in the lobby (as it would be off duty) wouldn't work either.

Tough situation, for sure.

lorieleann Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:14am
post #4 of 10

in a previous job at a zoo, there were places where service dogs were prohibited, so i can imagine that there would be restrictions in place for working in a kitchen with a service animal. I jsut did a quick search and found this wiki answers link:

it basically says that a service animal who is performing a service for their handler (as opposed to being off duty with another caretaker) is allowed in any public restaurant space where special clothing is not required. But since in a kitchen where food is prepared requires hairnets, aprons, and gloves a SA would not be permitted.

You can simply tell her that her dog is not permitted in the kitchen due to health code, and having a dog unattended in the lobby (as it would be off duty) wouldn't work either.

lorieleann Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:16am
post #5 of 10

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 10

We don't know which country we are talking about.

In the US there is the Americans With Disabilities Act that requires employers to make "reasonable" accommodation of disabilities. If a US bakery owner had an employee that had a prescription for a dog then you would be able to get some advice.

But anyway here are some questions to ask:

How long will she be training the dog?

Can the dog be crated outside the bakery back door? (the crate can support a cover to provide necessary shade)

You see as I am writing this there are multiple issues.
Most municipal authorities have just as many rules about dogs as they do about sanitation.

For example the indoor temperature of the bakery may well become unsafe for the dog to spend extended periods of time there. And Lord I thought everybody knew about not bringing animals into food preparation spaces.

So it's time for your decorating lessons to move back to your home or hers, where they can be separated from your food production. It's time for your business to pay for those lessons as lessons.

Leauna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leauna Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 10

If you live in the US then I would call the number at the bottom of this webpage.
http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm
Most of these say that where the public is allowed then the SA is also allowed. But as far as I know, the PUBLIC is not usually allowed in the kitchen so I would think that that would go for a SA too.
Call that number, because we can all tell you what we think, but they have the up to date info that you need that is legal.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 10

Hi, i do believe that you will get this situaltion straightened out and you won,t loose your friend. True friends are hard to come by and i think she will understand .

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 10

Yeah, I'd have to politely decline any further help until she's done with the dog.

MRSwanSong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MRSwanSong Posted 4 May 2013 , 3:16am
post #10 of 10

AI know this is a bit after the post but FYI I have a service dog and help out in my churches kitchen. I won't allow my own dog into the kitchen. I don't think it is a good idea for anyone. He is trained to stay out of the kitchen in the hallway. I have more trouble teaching the other people to not touch him!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%