Fondant Cracking While Covering A Cake, Help!

Decorating By chica07 Updated 11 Jan 2012 , 8:32pm by Rusti

chica07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chica07 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 2:12am
post #1 of 6

Hi, I did a car cake a while back, and the Satin Ice fondant had some cracks on the curved edges of the car. Is there a way to prevent this? Or camoflage it??

I have another car cake coming up and I'll be using Wilton's fondant. I"m not sure if it's the brand or my doing, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

5 replies
Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 2:43am
post #2 of 6

Wilton's fondant is great to work with, but tastes TERRIBLE!! I would not recommend covering an entire cake with it. To help with cracking you can work in some shortening.

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 3:16am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista

Wilton's fondant is great to work with, but tastes TERRIBLE!! I would not recommend covering an entire cake with it. To help with cracking you can work in some shortening.

High ratio shortening

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 3:42am
post #4 of 6

Work faster. Sounds like the fondant is drying out before you are moving it.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:02am
post #5 of 6

I agree, work faster. You want to get that fondant on your cake as soon as you get it rolled out. If you overwork it before rolling it out it will lose some of its elasticity and that can cause the cracking. Save the Wilton for making pieces you need to dry quickly and to remain sturdy once shaped. Not only does it not taste as good, but it will dry out much more quickly than Satin Ice ever will.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 6

I wouldn't say Wilton fondant is easy to work with. Maybe on small things but I tried using the Wilton Chocolate for a cake and it cracked badly. Satin Ice is my favorite fondant to work with but yes, you do have to work fairly quickly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%