I Was Expecting Butterfiles And My Little Pony.

Decorating By mommachris Updated 17 Jan 2012 , 11:51pm by mommachris

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 15

My daughter is turning five next week. I asked her what she would like on her cake.
Because she 's a girly-girl I thought she'd ask for the typical princess-type decorations.
Nope.
"I want a rhino....charging a yellow horse with a horn( I think she meant a unicorn) and she's got really long blue hair with flowers around her neck."
icon_eek.gif
Really, where did my four year old daughter hear the word 'charging'. And we don't even watch wild animal shows that often so how did she get a rhino in her head? I'm flummoxed. How am I going to make that into a cute cake?

Off to google I must go to find some images because it's been three days since I asked her, and she's not budging on the design.
I'm actually afraid to mention it again since yesterday she added wings to the unicorn.
I don't need any more challenges.
Told her," No more alterations can be made so close to the due date."
She looked at me funny. icon_wink.gif
I love that kid.

mommachris

14 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 15

They'll do it to you every time. My younger daughter liked to dress up in her frilliest pink dresses and go climb trees and beat up on boys. Go figure.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 15

Good Luck, sounds like you have a challenge ahead of you. Enjoy it though before you know it she will be in college. I have no girls, no girly cakes for me. My boys are big now, 19 & 22, Wow time flies.

Post pictures, I'm very interested to see this "rhino charging a yellow horse with a horn, and really long blue hair with flowers around her neck" Sounds awesome!

Good Luck & Thanks for the giggle and smile, I Love It, Out of the mouth of babes!

Have fun.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 15

You are such an experienced mom, so you probably already did this, but, please draw up the design for her to "ok" first as you may discover her version of "rhino" is not what you think. Had a few minor miscommunications like that with my children. Once, just before the "noah's ark" kids party next door began, my 4 yr old finally put on her costume (she'd insisted on being a red ant) and burst into tearsbecause it was missing the spots... icon_confused.gif She actually wanted to be a lady bug.

idreamincupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idreamincupcakes Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 12:26am
post #5 of 15

That is hilarious, I actually laughed out loud icon_lol.gif can't wait to see the final product!

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 12:58am
post #6 of 15

I'm laughing too. Kids are a riot icon_biggrin.gif
Please post what you come up with , I can't imagine ...
Good luck thumbs_up.gif

mommachris Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:11am
post #7 of 15

I actually drew up a couple of images today.
There was no way I was going to find one picture. icon_rolleyes.gif
She actually squealed when I showed her the rhino. He's an angry baggy eyed beast. I see no reason for her little squeal.
Oh, I'm going to post a picture for sure.
I've decided to make her a CCC since I'm going to need a pretty strange shape to accommodate the brute and his unsuspecting prey.

mommachris

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 5:34am
post #8 of 15

That's pretty cute, actually. It reminds me of the Darth Vader-Disney Princess cake that was featured on CakeWrecks. icon_smile.gif

I think my sketches would've had the rhino and the unicorn playing tag. icon_smile.gif And fondant figures or FCBT rather than a shaped cake.

Holly

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 5:43am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

They'll do it to you every time. My younger daughter liked to dress up in her frilliest pink dresses and go climb trees and beat up on boys. Go figure.

Mom? Is that you? icon_wink.gif

mommachris Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 15

Here it is in all it's quirky glory.
Melissa's Unicorn Rhino cake....

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2249278/unicorn-and-rhino

I can't get the attachment to work. I blame operator error icon_razz.gif

If the link didn't show then it's the first cake in my gallery.

I believe my kids are playing "Stump the Mom" this year with their cakes.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 4:10pm
post #11 of 15

Too funny! Especially since you described her as a "girly-girl". Amazing job, Mom!
I think Dr. Freud would look at this and say, "hmmmm, appears as though she is either dealing with a very agressive sibling (if she sees herself as the unicorn), has much supressed energy waiting to explode (if she sees herself as the rhino), or has an advanced sense of humor and adventure!"
What a fun kid! Fun Mom, too.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 5:28pm
post #12 of 15

This is the best thread EVER. Thanks for the laugh!

You did an AMAZING job!!! I am highly impressed that you were able to pull off "a rhino chasing a yellow unicorn"!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 10:40pm
post #13 of 15

That's hilarious! I love that kids come up with things that are so random.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 11:42pm
post #14 of 15

thumbs_up.gif I love it! You did such a great job! How did she like it? What about the other party guests party.gif

mommachris Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 11:51pm
post #15 of 15

There was no chasing. I asked her if the unicorn was running. She said, "Nope."
My older kids tell me that the rhino is probably from an episode of Wild Kratts ( a cartoon on PBS) where the rhinos were turned into robots and ran around ( charged) all the peaceful creatures.
"Were there unicorns on the show?" icon_confused.gif
"No just normal African animals."
All that matters was that Melissa said, "It's so cute. Thank you, Mommy."
In the last month I've matched the pattern on one child's pajamas and made this wild cake.
Can't wait to see what my son comes up with in April when he turns 18.
So far in the game of Stump Mommy, it's Mom 2 and Kid 0.

mommachris

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%