Uk Pricing Question

Business By dhara Updated 10 Jan 2012 , 10:09am by lissyUK

dhara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhara Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 2:16am
post #1 of 2

Hi all

I'm after some advice on pricing. I recently made a 10" x 6" victoria sponge cake covered in fondant with gold pearls all over with about 1/2" gaps between them and ribbons around the base of the cake itself as well as the cakeboard and finally 200 cupcakes with cream cheese buttercream frosting (and 3 mini daisies and gold dust all over for each cupcake) all together for £260. Considering the time and effort I put into it, the charge should have been more like £350. However, it was for a charity event so I really don't mind the price.

The lady who placed the order has requested another cake for her own birthday. This time it will be a two tier Victoria sponge cake. The base cake will be 12" x 12" x 4". The top tier will be 8" x 8" x 3". Both tiers will be covered in fondant. The base will be quite plain in design, with just a ribbon around it. The top cake will need to have a gold net effect.I'm planning to pipe the net effect in white royal icing and then paint with edible gold lustre. At the base of the top tier, there will be either shell piping or gold pearls or ribbon. My question is, how much do I charge?? I really like the family who is ordering, they are such lovely people. However, I don't know if they will expect me to charge little based on my previous charge. I've accepted the order without discussing the price. I told them I would get back to them. I see that a standard 12" x 12" cake costs about £60 and 8" x 8" costs about £40. I will, however spend agestrying to perfect it. I know I shouldn't look at individual cake prices, instead look at two tier prices, which are often higher.

I haven't worked out my costs yet. I just want to know what everyone else would charge? My husband suggested £120. Although fairly low, I'm guessing perhaps this is ok? I do value my time and effort though. Please advice! I don't want to take the route of start cheap, increase price later down the line....

P.s. They know I'm starting out, but all they have is praise for me

1 reply
lissyUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissyUK Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 10:09am
post #2 of 2

Hi there! Have you worked out how much it actually costs you to make the cakes? Prices are going up on all my supplies, but there's not room in the market to increase my prices! Make sure you think about the non edible costs too - power, parchment etc. Then decide how much you'd like to pay yourself per hour. That'll give you a base price which you can add your profit margin to.

How many people is the cake going to serve? 12x12 and 8x8 is a lot of cake.

Though the design is simple (ish- that piping will take time!) £100 is definitely on the low side. Likewise, you sold your cupcakes for about £1 each! That's crazy low! Anywhere I've seen, you'd get a plain buttercream swirl cuppie maybe with sprinkles for £1-£2. Anything with fondant decoration pushes the price up because it takes more time!

Agree a price with the client asap - and before you accept an order in future! Saves awkwardness.

Good luck x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%