Elegant Gray Fondant Color

Decorating By lstalder Updated 11 Jan 2012 , 2:18pm by Marianna46

lstalder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lstalder Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 1:52am
post #1 of 4

I need to achieve and elegant gray color for fondant accents on a contemporary wedding cake. Does anyone sell such an already colored fondant or does anyone have a suggestion on how I could best get this color? I don't want a dull or too deep of a gray.

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 10 Jan 2012 , 2:04am
post #2 of 4

I usually just add black fondant to white, but a little black goes a long way. Add it little by little until you get the shade you want. I find the light gray very pleasant. If it's too dark it turns into a bluish gray that I don't like very much.

Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 4:04am
post #3 of 4

I was told to use powdered black coloring to make a gray color. It works wonderful without turning a blue or purple shade icon_smile.gif It doesn't make the fondant gritty either. HTH

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 4

That's good to know, Mamatoboys. Do you know where you can buy powdered colors? I'm wondering if you could dilute them in alcohol to paint with, as well. When I've done this with liquid black, it works okay if I'm using straight color, but it turns blue when I dilute it for shading, which is what happened on this cake:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1355662/my-son-in-law-loves-dragon-ball-z
I actually used NO blue coloring on this cake. All the ones that look blue are variants of black.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%