Icing For Roses

Baking By angeleyes1985 Updated 29 Sep 2012 , 3:06pm by icer101

angeleyes1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeleyes1985 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 8

Okay so I finally got my buttercream icing the perfect shade of maroon. I let it chill in the fridge for a while and took it out to make roses. The problem I am having now is the icing isn't firm enough to make the roses. They keep coming out droopy. Is there anything I can mix in with the icing that wont affect.the color at all? Thanks for the help.

7 replies
sugar_rush_cupcakes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar_rush_cupcakes11 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 8

try some tylo powder! dont need alot and it makes the fondant/sugar paste into gum paste/flower paste. Or just try adding some more icing sugar, this may cause it to lighten though, as you may need quite abit! hope this helps!

sugar_rush_cupcakes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar_rush_cupcakes11 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 8

ok ignore what i said! i misread, and i was talkin about fondant! you can only really add more icing sugar to butter cream to thicken it! i know of nothing else to help with this lol so sorry for my dumb arse reply lol

angeleyes1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeleyes1985 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 8

That's what I was afraid of. Took me 2 days to get the right color. I might try to freeze it a little and do one rose at a time. Good thing I have plenty of time. Lol. It's for this weekend. Thanks so much. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 8

You might be able to make one rose at a time but........as they warm up they will droop. You might as well add some ps. It shouldn't effect the color *that* much - unless you add a pound to a cup or soicon_smile.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 8

Yes, add powdered sugar. If you add too much and it gets too dry, add more shortening instead of liquid to reverse it. IMO, it can never be too stiff, just too soft.

Finished roses should be left out at room temperature for several days to have a chance to air dry. They'll be easier to place where you want on the cake instead of where they fall! They'll also be more lightweight once dried, with a lesser chance to fall off than heavy wet roses. Frozen or refrigerated roses will return to the original consistency once thawed.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 1:51pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyes1985

That's what I was afraid of. Took me 2 days to get the right color. I might try to freeze it a little and do one rose at a time. Good thing I have plenty of time. Lol. It's for this weekend. Thanks so much. icon_smile.gif

...so how did you arrive at the maroon color?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 8

If you icing consistency is right , you will not have to freeze icing, nor freeze the roses. I have never done it. I make it right to pipe roses or any other flower. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%