Treasure Chest For A Pirate Cake

Decorating By DeeDelightful Updated 31 Jan 2012 , 8:20pm by DeeDelightful

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 4

I have to do a treasure chest with the open lid. I'm seeking any advice on how to prop up the lid and how it should be made. I see many great treasure chest cakes on this website, but not much insight on how it was put together. Thanks.

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 4

You could make the lid out of an iced cake board OR gumpaste.
Place a dowel on either side of the cake, near the back of it to hold the lid up. Hide these w/jewels etc. Don't make it open too much - the dowels should stick up only about 1" to 2" - no more.
When ready to place the lid, pipe a line of icing along the back edge & tuck the lid into it so it is held in place as it rests on the dowels

Momofjaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjaic Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 4

I did a treasure chest cake with open lid. I got a foam core board and scored I with w knife about 1 inch strips this allowed for the lid to bend then I attached 2 dowels to the foam core i took a styrofoam circle cut in half (the width of the cake) bent the core board around the circle, covered in fondant. The bends in the lid made perfect "boards". I place jewels and ring suckers all over and put a longer dowel in the center of cake and put the lid on he put a peice of fondant to hid the seam "hinges".

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the replies and the tips. I'm trying to gather as much help as I can. I have to make this cake in about 3 weeks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%