rifmu Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 6:43pm
post #1 of

Hi,
I would like to do cake pops, but I can't use candymelts as they have dairy ingridients in them. I was thinking of using a canned frosting, melting it a bit and dipping pops into it. Do you think it would work?
Are there any other options besides candymelts?
Thank you!

5 replies
jgifford Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 7:22pm
post #2 of

Melted frosting would work, but it won't give you the smooth finish that's so easy to decorate. You can also use chips - chocolate, vanilla, butterscotch, etc. - and they will give you a smoother finish.

rifmu Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 7:37pm
post #3 of

Thank you!
would you just melt the choc chips or add something to them for smoother consistency? I find the straight melted choc chip have chunky consistency.

Debbye27 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 7:38pm
post #4 of

You can also purchase regular chocolate and then temper it if you have a candy thermometer (google how to temper chocolate) and it gives you the exact same results as candy melts, just takes a little longer. But would give you the snap when you bite into it, glossy texture that candy melts do, instead of melted frosting.

rifmu Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 7:52pm
post #5 of

cool!
i shall try that!

jgifford Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 7:56pm
post #6 of

If you use chips, just add a couple of tbsp of butter when you melt them. And be sure to melt them slowly so they don't cook or you'll have hard little bits.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%