Need Help Fast ....what Would You Charge

Business By JLG Updated 9 Jan 2012 , 4:31pm by JLG

JLG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JLG Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 5

2 layer (One chocolate/One Yellow) specialty cake (Gluten Free) with raspberry filling and buttercream frosting
basic decorating

I'm doing this for a neighbor but don't want to overcharge or undercharge. Want to be fair.

Ideas? I'm in IL - suburbs of Chicago

4 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 1:05am
post #2 of 5

My 8 in cakes start at 40 but i don't know gluten free pricing and im not in Illinois. Im close though.

katta87_2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katta87_2005 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 1:43am
post #3 of 5

I would charge around 20-30, but i've never made gluten free cakes before either and i'm sure they are a lot more involved, so maybe 40-50?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 3:41am
post #4 of 5

We would charge $54 for an 8" gluten-free cake with fruit filling. This is in CA, which requires a commercial kitchen to sell cakes to the public.

IL does have a cottage food law but I believe it only applies to farmer's markets, so you would not legally be able to accept money for the cake unless it was baked in a licensed commercial kitchen.

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/politics-and-government/2011-08-25/new-law-settles-dispute-public-health-officials.html

You have to be very careful when making gluten-free cakes in order to avoid cross contamination. For example, you need to wait at least 24 hours after using flour in a kitchen before exposing any gluten-free ingredients to the air.

JLG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JLG Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the information and the warning about the gluten free. However, I myself am gluten free and need to be due to health reasons, so it's not an issue for me. That is why this person came to me. My kitchen has never seen wheat flour in it. icon_cool.gif

Thanks again - I appreciate the input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%