Va Cottage Laws

Business By klamb17 Updated 9 Jan 2012 , 11:35am by costumeczar

klamb17 Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 4

I live in Va and know that they have a cottage law and was wondering if anyone else lived here and have a cake business? I did read somewhere about if you want to go commercial you have to upgrade to commercial appliances, what is the difference? Also I know that I would have to kick my dogs out, which I hate to do but it's my career or the dog staying I do have a double sink and a bathroom connected to the kitchen. I have a wall oven, which I love! no bending. I don't have a mop sink. I just wanted to know some basic things I need to have.


3 replies
costumeczar Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 1:01am
post #2 of 4

I work out of my home in Henrico County and I have regular appliances. Some of it depends on the county you're in because I've heard that some people can't even bake from home, but I'd call the Dept of Agriculture and have them send you the latest requirements from the state. You don't have to have a mop sink, and if you have a bathroon that's accessible to the kitchen for handwashing that satisfies the handwashing sink requirement.

klamb17 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 1:15am
post #3 of 4

Wow thanks. I am located in Colonial Heights, so I am not that far from you. I'm sure it's different then Henrico.

costumeczar Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 11:35am
post #4 of 4

There's a baker in Petersburg who works out of her home, so I think Colonial Heights would probably be similar. The health inspectors know that we're generally the least of their worries, so they just want to make sure that you have the basic important things in place and know the sanitation issues involved. The inspectors are really helpful once you get to that point. Up to then you could get different answers from different people depending on who answers the phone, but there's a packet of information they can send you about starting a food business that should help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%