Need Help On 2 Tier Mini Cake For Bridal Shower Center Piece

Decorating By soledad Updated 9 Jan 2012 , 12:56pm by Marianna46

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 10

Hello everyone! I need your help again, please! I am a hoby baker, My son is getting marry and his bride sister is throwing the shower. I am in charge of making the center piece as a mini 2 tier cake on a large tall glass cup. ( 6 center pieces on a table with a white tablecloth and a red smaller tablecloth on top)I was going for a 6in x 4in x4in but I see now I have to go smaller because the trial mini cake weighted close to 6lbs which I think is to heavy for the glass cup.. Since I have the pans for a 5inx4in high
I will make it 5inch x 3inx3in .(what do you think?) Now my problem is the colors. It will be an Italian theme, because they met on a trip to Italy for their Italian class of the University. She wants me to use the colors of the flag, She is a lovely young lady but the way she envisioned the mini cake is not of my liking .
icon_sad.gif I will try to post a picture. If I can not do it here I will post it in my gallery. I sure would like to do the best center piece that I can, this is why I need your help!!! How can I use those colors on the mini cake without it looking like a Christmas cake??? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif By the way I have three children and is the first one that is getting marry!! I THANK YOU ALL, for any guidance that you can give me. (I forgot, this is for next Sunday) I posted the picture in my gallery. At the bottom it will have either flowers or a big bow.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2243262/practice-bridal-cake

Thank you!! icon_smile.gif

CIAO

9 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 10

Hi, soledad! I looked at the photo of your practice cake and I have two suggestions. One is that the cake still looks too big to me for the size of the glass you've put it in (and it must have been REALLY difficult to get it to go in there, too!). You might have to buy some smaller cake pans to do this, but I'd try for a smaller diameter and shorter layers, just to keep the proportions right. The other thing is about the red, white and green decorations. You're right that they always look too much like Christmas decorations. I have the same problem, because I live in Mexico, where the flag has the same colors. I solved it on one occasion by airbrushing stripes of red and green along the edges of some cupcakes to make it look more flag-like. Here's a link to those so you can see what I mean:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1705191/world-cup-cuppies
I didn't have an airbrush at the time, so I used the Wilton spray colors. Best of luck to you in this. Isn't it exciting when our kids grow up?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 10

Well..to start..don't panic...A mini cake should be just that..Mini! and your seems to look very bulky...I would keep the entire cake white with hints of red and green rather than a layer of a solid color...or use a special embellishment for color to show it is italian or from Italy...maybe a small flag made from fondant but not all over the cake..HTH

Marianna46 Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 10

As usual, Kiddiekakes, your suggestions are right on the money!

bellacakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellacakecreations Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 1:47am
post #5 of 10

I would definitely go smaller on the cake as for ideas keeping the main color of the cake white keeps it from looking too christmas-y. In my opinion the simpler you keep this cake the better it will look because those colors are overpowering.

maybe a white cake with a simple ribbon in the middle of each tier one in green and the other red

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 2:28am
post #6 of 10

Why not do white cakes with a green fondant ribbon--luster dusted to make it satin-y-- around the tiers and a use a tiny red dotted swiss pattern? It would have the look of a classic wedding cake in the colors of Italy and I don't think look it would look too Christmas-ey. Maybe even just random dots of red here and there. HTH!

mo_gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mo_gateaux Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 2:33am
post #7 of 10

Firstly, congrats soledad on your son's upcoming wedding... this time must be so exciting for you!
Seeing as this is for a bridal shower, i like the idea of keeping the cake white (or ivory) and using the embellishments to bring out the Italy aspects. What if you took some fondant, coloured it red, white and green (maybe using the wilton sprays as Marianna suggested) and draped it down the cake? That way it has the fabric look like a flag too? Or what if you made little tiny red, white and green rosebuds (by just cutting out a 1/2" x 1 1/2" strip of fondant and rolling it up into a rosebud) and placing them around your topper and around each tier? (if you'd like more info about this IM me and i'll send you better instructions, they're in peggy porschen's book Beautiful Cakes)

Whatever you end up doing, I'm sure it'll look great. Please be sure to post photos of how they turn out!

Oreobo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oreobo Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 2:46am
post #8 of 10

Hi Soledad!
I agree the cake should be smaller and all white. You could add red roses and green leaves and perhaps add a tiny Italian flag.

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 5:09am
post #9 of 10

THANK YOU EVERYONE !!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I love you guys and all of your ideas are great! Yes it is so very exciting to see our children so grown and now forming their own families! icon_eek.gif

BTW Marianna love your cuppies and the little flag.
Kiddiecakes those small pans are very deceiving! They came out so big! Yes I will definitely go smaller, I am thinking do a sheet cake and cut smaller with my round cutters, maybe? I will bake that now and do another trial.
I like the ribbon idea, I also like yours carmijok, mo_gateaux I sure would like to try yours, but I have not yet done any draping, oreobo I like the roses idea ,even though I have only done roses once. I will practice them all and see which one is the less difficult to do . I am sorry for being so late in answering I was at a fund raising event for a friend who is ill and I just came back.
Thank you again, and will post as to which one I will do, I have to decide by Wednesday! I will try not to panic! icon_eek.gif

Thank you, again!

CIAO

Marianna46 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 12:56pm
post #10 of 10

I think you're right about making a sheet cake and cutting the cakes out with round cutters, soledad. (And just think of all the cake pops you can make with the leftovers!) I like the ribbon roses idea, too. They're really easy to make and they look quite spectacular once they're done. My experience with draping, on the other hand, is that it is harder than it looks and often takes several tries to come out right - but that may just be me. Instead of making roses in the three colors, another way to go would be to make all red roses with green leaves on white cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%